Silver pigeon 1 sporter v 686E sporter

Mickthemiller

Hi

I need some help and input into a problem I have selecting a sporting gun, I have two in mind, a brand new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 sporter, or a little used mint Beretta 686 E sporter with an adjustable stock. The Silver Pigeon sells for around £1300, and the 686 E is being offered for £1300. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what characteristics makes the 686e so much more expensive, even without the adjustable stock they are £250 - £300 more new. I must say I did like the 686E but does it offer me more than the Silver Pigeon other than the adjustable stock. I allready have a 26 year old 686 special in fantastic condition but it is a game gun and my coach recommends I look for a sporter.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Mick

Beretta must have done something to make the new one cheaper than the old one, you may not find out for a while the 686 is tried and tested, any issues well known. the new Silver Pigeon 1 has great reviews but has been built to a price. some say its due to beretta standardising across their world markets so producing the same parts in higher volume, or they may have cut corners to keep the price down to compete with offerings from Miroku and others. If possible try both out with your coach most Shops will allow you to try the used guns out, and the bigger RFD's may have a demo gun for the Silver Pigeon 1.

I can only speak from personal experiance the 686E is an out and out sporter, it has sporting stock dimentions and is set up to break clays. It has what I understand to be a grade 1/2 stock and is reasonabley well finished. The gun is designed to fire hundreds of thousands of rounds without a flicker and if in reasonable second condition if treat well this gun will last a life time.

I would suspect that the slightly cheaper SP1 is not as well finished as the 686E, even if it holds simular attributes. If I was you I would buy the best I could afford and stick to it. :good:

Best of luck

Huey

Edited by huey

You could go for a proper gun like a Miroku/Browning andspend the money you saved on replacing the firing pins and re-bluing the rusty barrels :lol:

I would go new.

Some one must not look after his guns very well,ive got browning/mirokus over 40 years old and still look like new and never had any problems with them.

• 3 weeks later...