Oh So Juicy Rabbit

Vermincinerator

Well after my success with squirrel cooked in the Maggi Oh So Juicey seasoning bag, i thought i would try the same technique on rabbit.

I bought two packets of "Paprika Chicken" mix and proceeded to put 3 legs and one saddle in each bag, oven was pre-heated to gas mark 4 so i popped them in for 3 hours, half an hour more then i cooked the squirrel for.

Well i have just eaten some, it was dreadful, dry and tough and i was not keen on the paprika flavour.

I have decided to carry on cooking the other bag for a couple of more hours but i dont think it will make any difference. :no:

Ian.

Well after my success with squirrel cooked in the Maggi Oh So Juicey seasoning bag, i thought i would try the same technique on rabbit.

I bought two packets of "Paprika Chicken" mix and proceeded to put 3 legs and one saddle in each bag, oven was pre-heated to gas mark 4 so i popped them in for 3 hours, half an hour more then i cooked the squirrel for.

Well i have just eaten some, it was dreadful, dry and tough and i was not keen on the paprika flavour.

I have decided to carry on cooking the other bag for a couple of more hours but i dont think it will make any difference. :no:

Ian.

Ah - thats why the thread is titled Oh So Juicy Rabbit then. :oops:

Dave sorry for the decieving title mate, thought it might get more people reading.

Okay i let the rabbit stay in the oven until 7.00pm then let it stand for 15 minutes before opening the bag.

Well some success after 5 hours, the meat actually flaked away from the bone but was still very dry.

All i need to do is find a way of keeping the meat moist and try a different flavour of Maggi Oh So Juicey, the Sweet Chili that i cooked the squirrel in tasted much nicer.

Ian.

slow cookers work great with rabbit :good:

Plus 1 :good:

Here's a recipie I've done a few times

Ingredients

1 large rabbit best if it's a 3/4 if not cook for an extra hour(or 2-3 bunnies)

small peice of venison

good *** of butter

2 medium red onions chopped roughly into 8ths

1 chalotte

2 carrots again roughly chopped

new potatoes

1 red pepper

1/4 teaspoon mace

3 cloves of garlic

half bottle of red (choose your own I use chateauneuf du pape)

two teaspoons of chilli or fresh chillies

black pepper and salt

gravy powder not bloomin granules :lol:

now optional you can add turnip/swede, leek or whatever you want (I like small mushrooms but add these in the last hour of cooking)

Recipe

Take the rabbit's liver, kidneys and venison chop as finely as poss, heat some of the butter and fry with the finely chopped chalotte and 2 cloves of garlic. Add some red wine and reduce when the mixture becomes as thick as runny honey add about 3/4 to a pint of hot water and set aside.

Take the remaining butter and fry the joints of rabbit briefly then transfer to a slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients and red wine (except the red pepper). Then pour over the stock and set on a low heat for 2-3 hours. Parboil the potatoes to rid most of the starch and then add them and the pepper, cover and cook for a further 2 hours.

Make up some gravy using COLD WATER only

only make a small amount say just under 1/4 cup and add this slowly a bit at a time until the your desired thickness is achieved and season to taste

Serve with fresh crusty bread, your tipple and a beautiful woman :lol:

Ps you can add herbs and things if you like I've used fresh rosemary and thyme in the past and wasn't over keen but each to their own :good:

Tell you what it is nice with.... young nettle tips steamed for about 15 seconds and/or asparagus.

Enjoy

Shroom

• 3 weeks later...

I`m not surprised they turned out dry, 3 hours is a very long time for anything let alone rabbit which is known to be devoid of fat. I think those bag things are really meant for chicken which has been bred over thousands of years specifically for tenderness. I have Kentuckied :D , rabbit joints but the obvious secret is to chose younger ones to begin with, certainly no more than 3/4 grown. You can use pretty much any shop bought seasoning but it helps to dip the joints in eggwash and then coated in the mix.

The next step is to fry them up a bit too, I believe this stage is critical as it imparts some oil onto the surface layer. Now put inside an oven (I judge the temp and duration according to size of rabbit) for no more than 50 minutes. You may have to remove midway and baste with oil to aid tenderness and avoid drying them out. If done correctly I`ve known them fool my 12 year old into thinking they were chicken, the pieces do disappear fast though so be quick. :yes::lol: