Greener SxS Shotguns

michaeladkins

Hello - I am looking to get a SxS for a bit of clay shooting and hopefully a bit of pigeon shooting, I have an O/U but really want to get a SxS even if its just to have something a bit different in the cabinet . I have just seen what looks like a very nice english gun by Greener, it had a Side mounted safety and an unusual looking cross bolt. It was built like a tank and was in good nick, the shop was asking £895.

I would love to hear any opinions of more experience shooters out there on these guns and the price the shop is asking?

Cheers Mike

Hi,

Assuming the gun is in good condition, had it been an ejector, the price would be well into four figures. As it is, you won't have to go crawling around picking up the cases. If we were honest we'd all agree that in the majority of shooting conditions, excluding, obviously, driven game perhaps, they simply aren't necessary. However, be careful as I'm reliably informed that because there's money to be made with older English guns and there's some lash-ups about as a result. Apart from that, all being well you may have just found what you're looking for.

Cheers

Hi,

Assuming the gun is in good condition, had it been an ejector, the price would be well into four figures. As it is, you won't have to go crawling around picking up the cases. If we were honest we'd all agree that in the majority of shooting conditions, excluding, obviously, driven game perhaps, they simply aren't necessary. However, be careful as I'm reliably informed that because there's money to be made with older English guns and there's some lash-ups about as a result. Apart from that, all being well you may have just found what you're looking for.

Cheers

"lash Ups" - Do you mean guns made up from Parts? Cheers Mike

The top pic is just like the gun i saw, very well made and built like a tank compared to some AYAs i saw in the same shop, Cheers Mike

Yes, they are very well engineered and strong. Greener was not shy of a bit of self promotion and overtly advertised his guns on their strength, particularly with regard to the cross bolt.

The second gun down is a 12g wildfowling gun (bought on this forum) which is built on a heavier action and is a bulkier gun. That said, it balances superbly and is about to have a cosmetic restoration.

£895 for a non ejector is strong money but if its in good nick and the barrel measure well you could do worse!

G

Hello - I am looking to get a SxS for a bit of clay shooting and hopefully a bit of pigeon shooting, I have an O/U but really want to get a SxS even if its just to have something a bit different in the cabinet . I have just seen what looks like a very nice english gun by Greener, it had a Side mounted safety and an unusual looking cross bolt. It was built like a tank and was in good nick, the shop was asking £895.

I would love to hear any opinions of more experience shooters out there on these guns and the price the shop is asking?

Cheers Mike

Love Greener's

The Greener family has brought much to the gun trade. It is a true English gun and cost around £10.00 when new.

PS GO WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT FOR USEING GREENER AND AYA ON THE SAME PAGE. :blink:

I had an empire with electors given to me when I was a kid, damn good gun with great balance and it came to the eye just so fast.

Damn I miss that gun

Bet you wish you had kept the old lady!

I had the chance to buy a Blue rock live pigeon gun about 10 years ago from a dealer I was £50.00 pounds away from owning it but pride got in the way and I stood on my last offer and how I wish I had bought that gun.