Scope, and the lowdown on it.

Guest jonrms

Guest jonrms

What on earth does all the number on the scope mean.

I know this is a daft question but I normally choose one from a shop and am able to view etc.. i am considering buying some from ebay but I really cant figure out what each mean.. example.

4x40

what the heck.

then there are some like 2x9x30 etc..

what on earth does this mean in english..

and what magnification should i be looking to buy for a air rifle...

i dont need it to be fancy etc.. as long as i can zoom in on a target and have a clear shot at about 50 yards

4x40

the first number is the magnification and the last is the diameter of the lens at the front. therefore this scope is 4x magnification and it has a 40mm lens.

3-9x40

This is a variable magnification scope, the magnification goes from 3x-9x the last number is still the size of the lens at the fron tof the scope.

HTH

Gareth

I hate to say it but,are you having a laugh?

Air rifle....50yds and what are you shooting at?

First No is magnification,last is objective lens size and if there is a middle it the highest magnification.

It could be that you need to get to know the type of shooting you will be doing,equipment and so forth before you buy anything shooting related IMO

a standard scope would be somehting like "3-9x40" (said this way "three to nine by forty")

the first bit 3-9 that is the size of the magnification, the higher the mag, the clearer the image through the scope. This is normal standard regardless of manufactures (ie 1.5-5, 2-7, 3-9, 4-12, 6-24) you will fnd some strange mag scopes but they are few and far between now.

the second bit 40 is the size of the objective bell (the big lens on the front of the scope) so this could be 20, 40, 50 or pretty much anything the manufatures want to make it. The lens at the front in basic terms deines how muc light is collected by the tube (THE SCOPE) and therefore how bright the image is when you look through the scope.

and then we go on to the 3-9x40 A/O I/R (adjustable ocular and illuminated reticule) which is the standard scope with front paralax for range finding and illuminated reticle means the cross hairs (or reticle) is lit up when swithed on.

if you ask anyone what the best scope is they will tell you whatever scope they are using is the best scope. But i have found the more basic the scope the better they are (ie 4x40 6x40 or 10x40) a fixed mag scope with no bells or wistles will do the job just as wll and most the time better than a lot of scoes ouot there costing 3 times the price.

ROB :lol:

so let me just get this straight a moment.

You have just paid 300ish for a AK47 replica air rifle?

Your thinking about spending a minimum of 250 to get go knows what done to it.

and you dont know the basics about a scope, to the extent that you have to ask on here what the numbers are.

this sounds like a very dangerouse situation your getting yourself into and i would think long and hard about any mods you want done to your rifle wihout talkign to a local gunsmith, and possibly even talking to the local FLO about the legalities of the mods your thinking about havign done.

but will adress this matter over on the correct thread :lol:

ROB :lol:`

Guest jonrms

Its funny, you can ask questions to better understand things.. I have been shooting for along time (nearly 20 years now) and I have always gone to a gun smith, shop and bought what I thought was best. you view the insides of the scopes etc and look down a range.. and feel it would suit..

Now because I want to actually understand what something means, as apposed to just buying a scope like i would normally. (because better deals are to be had) I am suddenly cast like a idiot who will go and cause problems.

To be honest. ban me etc but F((( off...

If you want to question my ability of shooting, my carefull nature, or even my knowledge about the law.. lets meet up! I have met some members on here and I am sure they will tell you I am a very carefull person!

I think your implications and suggestions that i will run off in a field with the ak etc and my knowlege of scopes will cause problems.

what I am doing is more than legal. however yes the AK is more than noticable. but it will be a single shot. pre charged just like my AGS or my friends logon solo.

So again.... back off. I even explained why i never knew about scope sizes etc...

if your daring enough.. call me.. i will pm you my number.. we can have a professional chat / discussion about whats wrong and right.. and because you may not agree with something fine.. your entitled to your opionion.. why post **** on the forum when you can be constructive.

Enough said.. Waiting for a ban...

I hate to say it but,are you having a laugh?

Air rifle....50yds and what are you shooting at?

First No is magnification,last is objective lens size and if there is a middle it the highest magnification.

It could be that you need to get to know the type of shooting you will be doing,equipment and so forth before you buy anything shooting related IMO

Hi m8, you would be very suprized how accurate an air rifle is at 50 yards in the right hands, for eg.. i can hit a rat target 15m at 50 yards with my hw97k 11.8ftlb .177 all day long.

i use a 3-12x50 hawk night-eye scope with good success. :lol:

The implications are Kingratcatcher are that this is the extreme limit of an air rifle and whilst it is possible can you ensure that you kill cleanly everytime on your first shot? There are so many more factors that can sent it tits up than at 25, 30 or even 40 yds.

I agree that setting up a target and taking a couple of shots will get you a hit everytime, but what about in the field? If you can then well done good luck and you are a way better shot than me, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic either!

Guest jonrms

snake, i agree, i couldnt take a rabit down at 50 yards but i use my rifle for targets mainly.. as most on here know.

i only just started off in the hunting scene.. so a 50 yard target is fun to achieve.

although the grouping is a bit more wide spread than at 25-30... but thats just obvious...

The implications are Kingratcatcher are that this is the extreme limit of an air rifle and whilst it is possible can you ensure that you kill cleanly everytime on your first shot? There are so many more factors that can sent it tits up than at 25, 30 or even 40 yds.

I agree that setting up a target and taking a couple of shots will get you a hit everytime, but what about in the field? If you can then well done good luck and you are a way better shot than me, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic either!

i know what you mean, but its cirtainly not impossible m8. i myself would struggle hitting a rabbit in the brain at 50 yards on the feild but i know people who cirtainly can.

im just trying to put my point across m8 dont worry. :lol:

The trouble is that people read that you can do it and then go out and try it for themselves, without practicing or learning the basics. The result, rabbits with lumps of lead where there shouldn't be any lead. It is nothing personnal to you it's just a matter of what goes on a public forum that is available for the world to see.

I don't care that you can down targets at 50 yds. I can't. To be honest I haven't really tried it at 50 yds anyway as for me it is immaterial, I don't shoot rabbits at 50 yds.

I do listen to what you have to say and can understand what you mean. Others may not.

Guest jonrms

I dont think i could drop a rabbit at 50 yards... only because i know my 12lb wont go through its little head...

however those who have FAC rifles which have been increased in power... and are 25-30.. no problem at all......

anyway.. back to my original question..

what bloody scope shall i get... there are plenty on ebay...

want a cross hair type... or single dot in the centre.

zoom function would be usefull.. and Cheap ish...

thanks.

thanks.

Don't buy off ebay, too many people selling cheap copies. Have a look here www.opticswarehouse.co.uk

The Hawke range of scopes will be fine for an airgun, not bad quality or price

Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40

Edited by Gareth0689

Guest jonrms

thanks.

Don't buy off ebay, too many people selling cheap copies. Have a look here www.opticswarehouse.co.uk

The Hawke range of scopes will be fine for an airgun, not bad quality or price

Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40

can you give me any other company apart from optics.... because i have not had a good experiance with them so far.

ok so you want a nice little scope, there are litteraly 100's to choose from out there, a basic 3-9x40 scope will do all you want it to do or maybe even a slightly larger mag 4-12x40 with a 30/30 ret or mil dots as there is very little difference in price these days.

JSRamsbottom are doing some nice optics at very nice prices. But stay well clear of scopes on ebay, the prices refelect the quality in most cases unless its a second hand and then your taking a fair chance that its not crushed or damaged in any way.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much you want to spend, if you can let me know that i shall tell you what i would get in that price bracket ;)

ROB :rolleyes:

Guest jonrms
ok so you want a nice little scope, there are litteraly 100's to choose from out there, a basic 3-9x40 scope will do all you want it to do or maybe even a slightly larger mag 4-12x40 with a 30/30 ret or mil dots as there is very little difference in price these days.

JSRamsbottom are doing some nice optics at very nice prices. But stay well clear of scopes on ebay, the prices refelect the quality in most cases unless its a second hand and then your taking a fair chance that its not crushed or damaged in any way.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much you want to spend, if you can let me know that i shall tell you what i would get in that price bracket ;)

ROB :rolleyes:

Thank you. I will have a look on there site.. find a scope that i think or price braket.. and all the specs i require.. if you can help thank you.

I am in desperate need of a new one since i kinda bumped mine..... and the glass is a bit wobbley... so not good... :*)

well we all make mistakes.

lol

See what you think about one these mate:

AGS Sapphire Duplex 3-9x40

I have the mildot version and to be honest the standard duplex reticle (above) would have done me fine as the mildots on mine are too widely spaced for much use when aiming off.

Cheers

SS

Edited by stupidsalmon