where have all the pigeons gone?

xxxwazzupxxx

Hi

I have recently started pigeon decoying.

My first 2 attemps were about 7 and 8 days ago. I managed to get about 10 pigeons each time which as a beginner I was pleased with.

I constantly saw LOTS pigeons throughout the day on most of the fields around where I was shooting (rape and sprouting beans).

Anyway I decided to return today to try again today at exactly the same time 11am and place. However after waiting for 2 hours and not seeing a SINGLE pigeon I decided to move around. I walked around the 300 acres of permission I have and in total saw 2 pigeons. I decided to give up at 3pm. I also drove around the adjacent farms but saw very little action.

I am just so surprised how from one day there were literally 1000s to a week later there being none.

Therefore my questions are – where have the pigeons gone?

Was I out at the wrong time in the day / did I do anything wrong?

Will they come back????

Any information much appreciated.

Thanks

Daniel

Pigeons tend to move around alot in their quest for food. They might have simply found somewhere that appeals more to them than the rape etc on your land. I'm not overly surprised that you didn't find many pigeons on 300 acres, it's only a very small area. I would spend time on reconnaisance and this would probably stop you making wasted trips out with the gun, ie if you don't see any pigeons on your land on thursday and friday, it's probably not worth wasting your time going out after them on a saturday.

Thats Pigeons for you, they go where the food is.... and depending whats around you, they may not return in any number for a while .

But they may use your permission as part of a flightline or a roost at some stage... all is not lost.

Make the most of your time walking round your permission getting familiar with it... make some hides in hedge rows (if the farmer allows) clearing tracks through woods etc.

You could even repair fences for the farmer if he wants...

Spend some time just sitting and watching over your fields, see if you can spot flightlines or roosts over neighbouring farms.... eat your sandwhiches and just watch the wildlife about you... learn all you can about your area.

Spend more time searching for the pigeons around your way.

Waste of time setting up a full shop if there are no customers, you won't shoot what isn't there.... and nothing you have done or can, do will make them come back.

They will return at some point... you just don't know when...

Dave