Using .177 darts

Curly87

Gat guns and darts are actually huge plinking fun.

When I was a lad, I remember a mate bringing his gat gun round. It was the first air pistol I ever saw. I had an air rifle at this point.

We set up some tin cans at 10 yards and blazed away (actually that should be popped away) at them completely ineffectually.

I glowed with pride when my Dad stuck his head out the back door, saw what we were doing and had a single shot with the gat, which popped a small evaporated milk can clean off the top of the pile of cans without disturbing the others. It was the smallest target available.

It was one of the very best shots I have ever seen with a pistol in terms of stylish nonchalance. It was, quite frankly, the unequalled epitome of plinking cool.

Dad then went back inside without a word.

My mate was in absolute awe. Word went round the class at school that my pa was some kind of Dirty Harry with this gat gun. My stock, in turn, rose inestimably.

Years later, Dad confessed that he was as surprised as we were at this shot.

We used to buy them when I was a kid.

They looked cool but weren't any better than a slug.

I remember I caught one in the gun when closing it and it came apart on firing and I missed a good pigeon sitting on top of the brussel sprouts.

After that it was slugs all the way ???

I think every kid at some point has owned or shot a gat gun, u couldnt hit a barn door whilst standing in the barn!! ??? But did that really matter?? just to fire a gun at that age was cool enuff with ur dad standing over watching, those were the days

NO, its just silly,

as are gat guns and darts!!!

Well I have to admit that I still have my dad's old diana model 2, and yes it was fun,

but still think that webley tempests and the like offer more plinking fun,

Bindi :thumbs:

• 5 weeks later...

Darts are pants! I tried some in my g10 that claims can use them, but all that happens is that half of the dart gets left behind in the barrel and is a ****** to clean out of it. the fluff just sticks.

Jus goin slightly off topic i think the g10 is the only decent thing thats come from smk. great fun with steel bbs and quite powerfull and accurate. I was stalking down my mates garden with my rifle and he was sat in his livin room playin with my new g10. when i got to about 30yrds down the garden and in range of the pidge i was stalkin he decided to shoot me in the backside with a steel bb. it stung like hell and from that range was better than any of his chinese collection! A great pistol for plinkin.

DO NOT SHOOT ANY LIVING THING WITH A DART AS IT IS ILLEGAL :drinks:

I wouldn't use them in my gun anyway but I did not know it was illegal to use them on quarry. Thanks for the info, you learn something new everyday!

:blush: i think this law is tied with it being illegal to bowhunt anywhere in britain, but don't quote me on that.

Legal or not an absolute NO NO on live quary only adderlesant kids would use them on quary. The sport the game shooting should only be for the responsible, Lets not have any more bad publicity upon us.I enjoy good fun and plinking but thier is a time and a place.