New Kit, Cobra NV, Ruger 10/20 = Miserable night

ellebarto

Went out last night to zero my new Ruger 10/20 which has a hogue stock and heavey target barrel and also to properly field teste my Cobra add on scope. What a miserbale night. Saw hardly any bunnies to start with but all the kit performed badly.

Ruger was throwing shots in a best of 8" groups at 50 yards. It was a 2nd hand gun and I'm not 100% sure of the scope but even so I was massively dissapointed with it. Think that will be going back for an examination bu the gun shop!

The Cobra NV, where do I start! Got loads of advice from users on here regarding setup had a deben mini gun light with IR filter and although I never actually targetd a bunny I just couldnt get a good image from it. I tried it on my leo scope and it was dire. Tried it on my Hawke cheap and cheerful and it was definitely better but still only out to say 50 yards. I'm desperate to get this working. I can see the potential but it just seems so fiddly. I'm going to invest in a scpe that people on here have tried and tested with the Cobra but if anyone else has advice about setting it up then please feel free to jump in!

Although I like the deben mini I found it very poor with an ir filter and nv add-on, not sure if this is to do with a lack of light or the filter only letting very high spectrum ir light though. Either way it performed terribly.

It might be worth trying an unfiltered/red filtered lamp just to see what the monocular can do, this is safe for the monocular as long as you don't shine at anything too close or reflective.

You need to try a different filter, a different lamp or get a decent laser illuminator which will eat the other two on light output and manoeuvrability.

Try and find someone local with a merlin, laser and usable scope to see how it works when set up.

If you weren't so far away you could try my old ags swat :look:

Hi there,

i have had a bit of experience with NV and add on units.

First things first

you need to set up a light coloured back ground about 40 / 50m away ( 2 reasons some scopes are not PX free under 50m also you dont want too much IR light bouncing back and damaging your NV)

potentialy you have 4 parts working against each other 1, the eye piece on the nv 2, fast focus lense (Objective on NV) 3, diopter on Day scope and finally parallax adjustment.

First set your magnification to minimum this allows more light into your scope/NV

Second check PX is wound down this can be fine tuned later.

third using the fast focus (Objective lens on NV) focus the cross hairs only forget the back ground picture for now.

Fourth using the eye piece on the NV fine tune the cross hair focus

Now lastly sight off the light back ground onto target area and use PX to bring in to focus.

it takes some getting used to but after a while it only takes a few seconds to do.

Now i take it your using Air rifle / rimfire for this so keep it at minmum mag this will help with target aquisition and light gathering.

If you want to zoom in close with NV and a dayscope im afraid you need to spend some serious cash 30mm tube 56mm objective gen3 NV no change from 4k

I have used pretty much everything in NV from Gen1 to gen3 pinnicle PVS14 add ons as well as gen3 kites with us gen3 litton tubes

If your finding the gen1 a little dull try using an IR laser, rather than IR led or torch with filter.

A Laser will double your distance if used right.

as i said before i have a little experience with NV by no means an expert so i hope this helps a little

some of the guys on here may be able to add to this. every piece of kit is different this should help though

Spike

Yeah tried a hawke an a leupold so far. Neither worked great but not sure what to adjust. The parallax adjustment is where to scope attachment fits so that isn't ideal

I think your major issue is a lack of illumination, I used the ir filter on my deben mini once and it has sat in a drawer ever since. Try it unfiltered tonight just to see that the unit works and works well-then buy a laser or a big lamp.

Hi there,

i have had a bit of experience with NV and add on units.

First things first

you need to set up a light coloured back ground about 40 / 50m away ( 2 reasons some scopes are not PX free under 50m also you dont want too much IR light bouncing back and damaging your NV)

potentialy you have 4 parts working against each other 1, the eye piece on the nv 2, fast focus lense (Objective on NV) 3, diopter on Day scope and finally parallax adjustment.

First set your magnification to minimum this allows more light into your scope/NV

Second check PX is wound down this can be fine tuned later.

third using the fast focus (Objective lens on NV) focus the cross hairs only forget the back ground picture for now.

Fourth using the eye piece on the NV fine tune the cross hair focus

Now lastly sight off the light back ground onto target area and use PX to bring in to focus.

it takes some getting used to but after a while it only takes a few seconds to do.

Now i take it your using Air rifle / rimfire for this so keep it at minmum mag this will help with target aquisition and light gathering.

If you want to zoom in close with NV and a dayscope im afraid you need to spend some serious cash 30mm tube 56mm objective gen3 NV no change from 4k

I have used pretty much everything in NV from Gen1 to gen3 pinnicle PVS14 add ons as well as gen3 kites with us gen3 litton tubes

If your finding the gen1 a little dull try using an IR laser, rather than IR led or torch with filter.

A Laser will double your distance if used right.

as i said before i have a little experience with NV by no means an expert so i hope this helps a little

some of the guys on here may be able to add to this. every piece of kit is different this should help though

Spike

Detailed stuff. Cheers mate. Don't get me wrong I've done a lot of research an I'm not expecting the world but so far it's falling massively short. Will try all your suggestions again. I think if I can get it to focus correctly that's my start point and then I can look at more powerful lights for it!

Detailed stuff. Cheers mate. Don't get me wrong I've done a lot of research an I'm not expecting the world but so far it's falling massively short. Will try all your suggestions again. I think if I can get it to focus correctly that's my start point and then I can look at more powerful lights for it!

No problem. Its a pitty your so far away would have given you a hand setting up.

regarding light source! visible light is not really any good for NV even with IR filter too much bleeds out into visible spectrum.

you end up with a weak washed out view

I have used old gen1 with 100mw laser out to about 200m

200m can just make out rabbit not good enough for head shot but at least been able to spot it then get closer (120m).At this distance been able to focus the laser to finer point alowing you to zoom in to around 8x for head shot.

practice close range with your focus then look to getting or borrowing a laser 90mw 100mw of even a laser Lusch unit they are quite expensive 500 euros+

Spike

One other thing to bear in mind is that your IR/laser will highlight anything in front of it and will transfer this to your add on and give a distorted picture. So.............if you have a nice bright shiny barrel and mod you are going to have problems.

The IR laser has such a narrow beam that it will miss you rifle completely. Lamps are worse and you will get "splashback" from anything nearby.

thanks to spike for that info, my attempt on saturday failed on the out of focuse stuff, I'll have a sit it the garden and try doing it his way :good:

as for the ir filter, lamp wise I'll recomend the u caller lamp, filter from that auction site, and a red filter to hold it in place, my mono will see out to around 30yds with the inbuilt ir, with the lamp, this was doubled :good:

http://youtu.be/azXe6WdcRGs

the ammo you use makes a massive difference depending on type IE federal, cci, sk etc....SK ammo is the best you can get for the ruger from experience...I was using federal and getting about 6" grouping and nearly sent my 10/22 back untill someone advised me to use SK ammo...now i get 1-2" groups. Try it :good:

the ammo you use makes a massive difference depending on type IE federal, cci, sk etc....SK ammo is the best you can get for the ruger from experience...I was using federal and getting about 6" grouping and nearly sent my 10/22 back untill someone advised me to use SK ammo...now i get 1-2" groups. Try it :good:

Interesting. I'm using Winchester Subs. Always found them to be great with everything else but will try a few different types and see!

One other thing to bear in mind is that your IR/laser will highlight anything in front of it and will transfer this to your add on and give a distorted picture. So.............if you have a nice bright shiny barrel and mod you are going to have problems.

Catweazel is right!

The beam is about 8mm wide at its source and usually mounted on top of the NV or scope. Above the height of the scope turrets at least 3 inches above the barrel and mod so no danger of light bouncing back off barrel/mod ect.

If you are getting "splash back" try mounting the light source higher or mount on underside of rifle.

Back in the bad old days (pre NV) I mounted a lamp via a picitinny rail on the under side of my rifle just behind the Bipod.