Where to shoot

ferretmanabu

I went for a recce today on a couple of fields at about 11am.

One one field I could clearly see where the pigeons had been feeding but i couldn't actually see any pigeons about.

On the other, there were a few pigeons sat around in the trees whcih i disturbed when I arrived. However, there didn't seem to be any signs that the pigeons had been feeding on the rape.

Where do you reckon I should set up? I'm thinking perhaps I arrived too late in the day to see where the pigeons were flying. I coudln't see a clear flightline on either fields.

Pigeons do like a short, cropped clear, area to land in, so its worth keeping an eye on that field.

The other field also sounds interesting, as you have seen pigeons sitting around it.

Unless really desperate, I would rather not set up on a field I hadn't seen (or heard of) pigeons feeding on within the last 48 hours, regardless of the signs that they had been there.

Pigeons do like a short, cropped clear, area to land in, so its worth keeping an eye on that field.

The other field also sounds interesting, as you have seen pigeons sitting around it.

Unless really desperate, I would rather not set up on a field I hadn't seen (or heard of) pigeons feeding on within the last 48 hours, regardless of the signs that they had been there.

Without the lluxury of extra reconnaisance, which field would you set up in?

I want to go out and do something other than laze around tomorrow. I know it would be ideal to do some more recces but unfortunately its not possible now.

If I had no other choice but those two fields, with no recce time, I would look for other factors to help my decision.

Like, which way is the wind blowing ?

I prefer not to have the wind in my face.

Which field has the best hide location possibilities ?

Nice hedgerow, or other good background.

Which is furthest from houses, or footpaths ?

Much more relaxing.

Nearest to home ?

A few extra minutes in bed. :ernyha:

Best of luck.

ferretmanabu the field with surrounding trees would be a good option,

even if they dont like your deeks and head for the trees you should still

get a shot .when you get in your hide and fire a couple of shots,they will

let you know if you are in the right place or not.

if you feel you have got it wrong never be afraid to move,some of my best days have been when i got the recce wrong and spotted the flight line from the hide and

moved positions.good luck.

The best way to get at least some feedback, in the short time you may have in that area, is to walk the birds off. Go right up to the sitty trees, if they are on your land, and watch which way they leave. While you are there check for pigeon droppings under the trees.

Go back far enough to allow any pigeons to return. If they only return to the sitty trees at least you're not wasting your time. A longer wait might result in you seeing where they are feeding and you may be able to set up. A recce at dawn might throw more light on the subject and you'll be able to note all the pigeon traffic, at a time when they are intent on feeding. There's no substitute for time spent watching pigeons, at any time of the day. Unfortunately if you only shoot at weekends you're at a disadvantage, particularly in the winter months. When daylight hours are longer some time spent, either before or after work, will give you the info you need. Those of us who shoot all through the week have it a lot easier.