Carrion Crow Tip

scolopax

Here's a tip which might prove useful in the next couple of months. I read about in an old magazine years ago but it does work, I've used it many times with almost a 100% success rate. It take advantage of the fact crows cannot count.

If you have a nesting carrion crow you wish to dispose of get your gun, your best camo and a mate dressed in a similiar fashion. Both of you walk up to the nest together in full view. The sitting bird will generally fly off before you get in range. Once up to the nest one of you hide in a good shooting position and the other carry on walking as if you are going on your way somewhere else.

The carrion crow will be watching from a distance and will see you, the danger, carrying on away. Within a few minutes the crow will come back to its nest. All the shooter has to do is stay still, well hidden, and when the time comes don't miss! Have a couple of heavy loads to put through the nest once the deed is done.

Edited by scolopax

catamong is correct, it is illegal to even disturb the nest of any wild bird, even pest species (wildlife & countryside act). Get caught doing so and you are looking at several

thousand pounds in fines.

Apparently the point about crows not being able to count is true, a couple of friends have used this method to fool them several times with good results.

regards

Leeboy

Scolopax,

A good tip, but it's now illegal to destroy any wild bird nest.

We don't want to give the many Anti's that read this forum any opportunity to cry foul.

Cat.

Thanks cat i did'nt know this :thumbs:

I thought I'd slipped up but then somebody put me onto this:

The below is taken from the DEFRA website and illustrates the open general licence currently being operated, Crows are named in three of the four sections which allow:

To kill or take certain birds (1): Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, or to take, damage or destroy their nests; or to take or destroy their eggs, for the purposes of: (i) preventing the spread of disease; and (ii) preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters. The species on the licence are:

To kill or take certain birds (3): Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, including the taking, damaging or destruction of their nests or the taking or destruction of their eggs for the purposes of conserving wild birds. The species on the licence are:

To kill or take certain birds (4): Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, including the taking, damaging or destruction of their nests or the taking or destruction of their eggs for the purposes of preserving public health or public safety. The species on the licence are:

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. General Licences WLF18 Permits authorised persons to kill or take certain birds, or to take, damage or destroy their nests; or to take or destroy their eggs etc. etc.

The 'certain birds' are all those under the General Licence, including the crow. If things have changed since June 2005 I stand corrected.

Scolopax, I stand corrected. Its obviously not a well known fact. I work in a conservation area and have always been told that to disturb nesting birds, pests or otherwise is highly illegal other than shooting brancher rooks. I've just completed several chainsaw courses and been instructed on each one that you cannot cut down a tree with a nest in even if the nest is a pigeon or crows.

thanks for putting that one straight

regards

Leeboy