One on one off in N. Ireland

I was in Enniskilen last week talking to a chap in the sports shop there, he was sure there were going to be changes. Something like a one for one of simalar calibre, example would be a 22rf could be changed for 22 mag or HMR, 22 cf for any other 22 cf but not say a 243 which is he was telling me was deer calibre. Just a matter of wait and see i think

There'a a lot of work left to do on this. Firearms need to be categorised into certain brackets etc so as not to create confusion with over excited FAC holders. It has already been discussed thoroughly at Stormount and things are looking good. Just a case of biding our time at the minute.

The NI Assembly recently passed three Amendments contained within the NI Justice Bill. Two of the Amendments relate to an age reduction for young people, potentially allowing them to possess and use both shotguns and airguns under the supervision of a person aged 18 yrs.

The third Amendment relates to one-off-one-on transactions and would potentially allow firearms dealers to alter a persons FAC, thereby enabling one-off-one-on transactions to be done “in the shop”. In simple terms this would mean that a person, with lets say a .22 LR rifle, could exchange it for a firearm of exactly the same calibre and type.

You will note that I use the word “potentially”, because although these Amendments were passed by the NI Assembly, they need to be enabled by the Justice Minster at some point in order for them to take effect. So, in short there is no change to current NI firearms legislation at this point in time.

BASC NI sits on the Northern Ireland Firearms Controls Liaison Committee, which includes a number of other shooting organisations and key stakeholders such as the Gun Trade Guild and the Ulster Farmers Union etc. This group had previously reached agreement in principle with the PSNI in relation to a “banded system” which would allow a certificate holder to exchange a firearm for another firearm within a specific band. I think that you will agree that this system would certainly be more desirable and beneficial for both the shooting community and the Province’s many firearms dealers, who for many years have struggled to make a living given the very long delays within Firearms Licensing.

In terms of a time frame, it is possible that the one-off-one-on transaction (like for like) may be enabled at some point by the NI Assembly in the not too distant future. However BASC NI is concerned that, should that be the case, then we may be stuck with that system and therefore may not achieve the banded system which the PSNI have agreed in principle to.

If you have any further questions, why not call Tommy in our NI office who will be happy to take your call.

David