any advise taken

mad1

hi all . On my permission there are plenty of signs of foxes ie loads of patches of feathers from dead birds etc and the farmer has lost many a chicken etc question is how can i find out what time its going about . I work shifts so i am varying the times i am there but still cant seem to catch up with it :angry: its startin to annoy me now as this was the main reason the landowner gave me the go ahead to get my fac . . . I am thinkin about baiting the area with shot rabbits to try and fetch it out . Any advice will be gratefully listened too :good: reg m1

whats that :huh:

Try tying a piece of string to a dead rabbit/chicken or similar bait to the battery of a small alarm clock to determine the time of visit by said fox. Once the bait is taken the string pulls out the battery leaving the time on the clock when the bait was taken. Works best if you use an anolog clock.

hi all . On my permission there are plenty of signs of foxes ie loads of patches of feathers from dead birds etc and the farmer has lost many a chicken etc question is how can i find out what time its going about . I work shifts so i am varying the times i am there but still cant seem to catch up with it :angry: its startin to annoy me now as this was the main reason the landowner gave me the go ahead to get my fac . . . I am thinkin about baiting the area with shot rabbits to try and fetch it out . Any advice will be gratefully listened too :good: reg m1

Are the patches of feathers from Chickens? Pigeons?or Other birds?

What do the feathers belong to? How do you know the patches of feathers are the cause of fox? It could be cat, BOP etc. One way of telling a fox kill from a cat or BOP is that a fox will cut the wing feathers off in a straight line (almost as if someone has taken a pair of scissors to them). Another way of catching up with the fox if your working shifts is snaring; however, you need to have the time to check the snares every 24 hours.

i did not want to use snares yet till i was certain it was a fox . As there are public paths across the top my luck i would end up with someones dog :oops: so if i could be there at the time with the gun i could make the decision :good:

i did not want to use snares yet till i was certain it was a fox . As there are public paths across the top my luck i would end up with someones dog :oops: so if i could be there at the time with the gun i could make the decision :good:

Very sensible. :good:

i think its pigeons . . I think :hmm:

If it's pigeons it will almost certainly be the work of a Sparrowhawk or Goshawk. ;) With pigeons, Spars usually do the initial 'take' and the feathers will be strung out in a line rather than a round patch this is due to the prey being as large or larger than the predator and the struggle that ensues. After that they usually carry a short distance, pluck a little, carry again and pluck some more then eat, unless carrying back to the nest to feed young. Gos's, usually, there will be just patches of feathers at the stike area. Hope this helps.