Stone Masonry

Curly87

Went to Portland the other day and found some stone that must have been an off cut. Spent today turning into a house number. Never worked with stone before, normally just carve wood but for a first attempt I think it turned out ok :good: I was surprised how easy it was to work with, nice not to have worry about what the grain is doing.

Anyone else here work with stone??

IMG_3377.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went to Portland the other day and found some stone that must have been an off cut. Spent today turning into a house number. Never worked with stone before, normally just carve wood but for a first attempt I think it turned out ok :good: I was surprised how easy it was to work with, nice not to have worry about what the grain is doing.

Anyone else here work with stone??

IMG_3377.jpg

Cracking job, I know pros who couldnt do better! One thing to remember is to try and get fresh quarried stone as older stone will have dried and be much harder to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a year working for a stone mason when I first left school in 1806 :lol: the portland stone was very easy to work with compared to say granite, marble would carve easily too but is much more prone to chipping,by the way it looks like you are already a far better mason than I would have ever made hence the career change :good:

very nice job m8 infact stunning.......you dont fancy doing a 43 and sending on do you

atb mark

Its a bit tricky at the moment as my other half is currently having to work 7 days a week at home trying to get through a tricky part of her PhD. It seems constant banging of stone whilst she is trying to concentrate and produce meaningful work isnt the best way into her heart :lol:

So at the moment I have gone back to working with wood. This is what I am currently working on by no means finished but you get the idea. Will be a celtic type design photo frame when done. One day I will be brave enough to try and turn these skills into a business just not in the position to do so at the moment.

IMG_3444.jpg