duck pond advice

alastair0903

thinking ahead for coming duck shooting season me and a friend have dug a duckpond on a local farm and were wondering what was the best way to feed it ? we are no strangers to feeding ducks and usually only get time to get to our ponds once a week with a bag of whatever feed we can scrounge for nothing ! so for this pond we are looking at getting a auto feeder and was looking for some feedback on different types ? the pond is well out the way so hopefully the feeder shouldn`t get nicked and know that we will have to buy some clean feed in order to put it through a auto feeder ?

what is the best feed for ducks oats wheat or barley ? and when should we be lookin to start feeding the pond ? would the feeder just be set to feed at say 4 oclock every day ?

lots of questions , thanks for reply in advance

I can recommend the Moultrie Pro Magnum feeder. I have two of these attached to 40 gallon drums. I have also used the cheaper plastic ones but they are quite fragile and not as reliable.

I have found that barley is the best for ducks, but I have also used wheat.

If you are feeding wild ducks, I would set the clock to feed about an hour before dusk.

I've been using a number of Kenco Auto Feeders for 3 years now and not had any trouble with them even on some of our salt marshes. They do (as I believe do all auto feeders)need clean grain. Barley is best possibly mixed with some OSR. You can set the timers to run a number of times throughout a 24 hour period but I tend to set them for early morning and late afternoon. Only remember to keep resetting them to daylight times as you go through the season.

I can't find the company that I purchased them from so they may have gone out of business but they are available on the 'net and for not a lot. Solway Feeders also do a good version and both items are cheaper than most.

They are a great labour saving device as with a big hopper fitted you can get away with only filling them every 2 weeks.