Fishing rod help

bigmick

I just got to new fishing rods, but dont know what he breaking strain of them is. They are:

Dennet Silverbrook salmon rod (casting weight 30-80grams)

and

Shakespeare contender saltwater spin(casting weight 2-4oz)which in grams is 56-113..

Can anyone help me?:/

Line has breaking strain, rods have test curves.

I am not sure what the question is Bigmick, do you want to know how much weight the can handle or what breaking strain of line it is best to use?

To measure the test curve set a reel up with strong line and hang weights off the end, when the rod tip is at 90 degrees to the butt section (and you are going purple in the face!) you have found the test curve. If the rod has a flaw in it it may also snap at this point so I wouldn't do it unless you realy feel you need to...

Both of those rods are pretty meaty, what do you intend to use them for?

To measure the test curve set a reel up with strong line and hang weights off the end, when the rod tip is at 90 degrees to the butt section (and you are going purple in the face!) you have found the test curve. If the rod has a flaw in it it may also snap at this point so I wouldn't do it unless you realy feel you need to...

Good advise stu

I used to be a casting instructor for sea angler mag, in fact I may still be one?

anyway we did some tests a good while back if you walk out 100 yds with a 12 ft sea rod of cast weight 6oz and secure the line to a post and a set of scales you can only put about 10lbs pressure on the scales with you at the other end of 100 yds bending the rod to 90 deg

Not what you asked but hey it may help

pavman

sorry lads I meant the test curve (half sleeping when i wrote it) on the rods???

Thanks for the help!!

I intend to use these rods for pike fishing as well, will they be any good? I already have three wichwood 2.5lb test curve rods which i use for pike fishing, but the more rods in the water the more chance of catching fish!!! :/:oops: :blink: :devil:

Mick

do you need a licence for each 2 rods in Ireland like we do?

When after pike its all about casting baits, I use 3 Nash Hooligans 3lb test curve, they will push a joey out a good way with ease, most is from the boat but last thing you want is a sloppy cast action a good stiff road also gives you power at the bank or boat if the fish makes a dash, I use braided line to keep things tight and help set the hooks as I find nylon has to much stretch, I also use very big barbless hooks I am talking number 2's not for me 6 or 8's, whilst I target large kippers I have found jacks have no probs with big hooks and they tend not to pull out or bend

pavman on pike :/

I think they are both spinning rods and as such would be fine for casting lures, using line up to 10-15 lb breaking strain.

If you are dead baiting, you may find them a bit short for decent distance casting and I would use small baits like sprats, or smelt, with a light ledger weight (1-2 oz).

They are not made to heave 8-12oz mackerel towards the horizon.

Good fishing. :/

Any of those will be fine for pike, I always boat fished for pike so I preferred softer rods just in case they did a submarine impression at the last minute!

I built my own rods and used 1 3/4 to 2lb test blanks.

3lb and up rods are great for launching big baits a long way but not very senistive or responsive when playing anything other than big fish.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth :/

Yes we do.We need a rod licence for every 2 rods when coarse fishing! Im from the North, dont know what its like for the South. I use 15lb line, wire trace with size 4 trebles, and very thin elastic band tired around the fish and wire trace so it doesnt come of when casting long distances. Have you ever tired that?

I don't salmon fish, I have always fancied but have never had the time/money to get into it - but I do trout fish (going in the morning as it happens :/ )

I use light tackle, for small stillwaters I use an 8'6" 5 weight and for reservoirs or larger lakes I go up to a 9' 6 weight. I tend to but mid ranged priced stuff, Greys or Orvis are good enough, I did have a Sage rod once but it was wasted on me so I chopped it in for the Greys + reel+ line!

I have had heavier rods but I just get on better with the light stuff, same as my pike tackle.