Essex Boyz on the Peas

post-23668-0-94625300-1307287385.jpg

After a rare outing to an Essex nightclub on Friday night, I managed to avoid being squashed by all the Dawn French look-a-likes and dodged the Ben Hur chariot stilettos.

However, I awoke with the predicted hangover due to my infrequent ventures to the world of alcohol these days.

I had arranged to pick Olly up around 12 for a second round on some re-drilled rape patches that produced 68 birds last Sunday.

I arrived at his around 12.30 some what jaded to find that the contract farmed had heard of our last weeks outing and had called to say he had a pea field which he would like us to go and shoot.

I knew what village the field was in, but which one, was like looking for the holly grail! So after several phone calls going to the farmers voice mail, due to bad signal area and calling in to three of his farms with locked gates, when he called back, we had found it on our own.

The birds have removed a 25-yard strip along one hedge and were all along it as we hauled our kit on to the field, a strong left to right wind, with the sun on our back and a thin hedge as back cover.

The field is quite wide and flanked by a road either side so we set up in the middle and I placed the rotary just on the edge of the peas a few yards left of one hide and set a second hide 30 yards to the right of the first.

Olly has a new flapper that he set out 10 yards to the left of the rotary again on the edge of the peas.

We put a mix of 20 static and bouncing shells just on the edge of the peas near the flapper. The remaining 15 shells to the right of the second hide but very close to the headland so the birds came up in to the wind swung out around those and in to the rotary area.

This worked quite well, and when birds come in threes and fours we try to let them all float in so both of us can have a crack at them, it is hard to do as the urge to shoot is quite strong, but it did work with some success and some failure!!

As usual the birds fly where they want and drop in how they want, which kept us on our toes for the whole afternoon.

We started at 3pm and finished at 7.15 with 124 birds on the clicker and 98 picked up.

I dont like to leave birds, but the field behind is wheat and quite tall and the peas are covered in pods so wandering around looking for lost birds is not so crop friendly.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter