Urban deer

Dunkield

I almost hit a muntjac the other evening coming back from a bunny shooting trip, nothing unusual about that round our way, but this was running from one garden across the road to another garden. Not in a town, but not near any fields to talk of.

I also see (and have tried to photograph) 3 roe in a field with a main road on one side, houses on another side and a busy footpath on the other. The last side has a stip of wood, but it is very thin, no more than 20 yards wide - so they don't have many options for cover.

Muntjac are known to be a bit on the bold side at times, but roe are normally a lot more shy, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed them getting a bit more urban?

Guest john5

i live on the outskirts an old cotten town in lancashire , and so far had five roe handed to me by the police that have been involved in road traffic accidents ,. strangely ,. they were all leaving the biult -up areas ?,.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally managed to see my 'friend' in the field I mentioned above, while I had my camera with me, the quality isn't very good but you get the idea - in the second picture you can see how close the main road is, she isn't phased by it or me taking pictures.

HPIM0487.jpg

HPIM0491.jpg

im seeing deer every where of late! its not until people get their 'eye in' that they notice them.

my girlfriend is abit of a towny lass, but after years of me pointing things out to her, she now points deer out to me.

i often see roe deer just outside houseing estates in gloucestershire when i go up and down the m5.

but iv found the best way to see deer is the trains. i use them once every 2 weeks and they are everywhere. being a nice chatty lad i always point out the deer to people on the train and they are stunned to see them.

down here in plymouth its just as bad, when im going back home i always see the same little herd of roe just outside plymstoke which is a very large populated area.

younggun

Took the dog out this morning and drove out towards Pinvin. Sat at the crossroads trafficlights and saw a muntjac in the hedge of a print works on the edge of pershore. This is on the junction of the A44 which is a busy road.

Ft

Over the years (with the urbanisation in mind) in the Netherlands there are two different types of roe:

One that lives in primarily woodland and one that lives primarily in the fields / urban area's. The woodland one is very shy, the one in the fields got used to the presence of people like farmers and people on bikes, joggers and walkers. Two different types of behaviour all together.