first time reloading help please

Thanks for all your help I'll start a lot lower and let you know how i get on thanks again, Steve

As said above going "a lot lower" can be a bad idea, if you let us know where you are I'm sure there'll be a member near you who would be happy to check everything over for you.

This seems to be getting all a little bit to complex for a novice loader .So lets try a bit of logic and reverse engineering. Just fill a prepared case to the bottom of the neck of the case and give it a couple of taps on the bench to settle the powder down . Then pour the powder onto your scales and see how much it weighs . This will give you a good idea of how much powder the case will hold without compressing it . If this amount of powder in the case is within your loading data then you will have a very good idea cf how much powder you can put in the case .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Harnsers approach will help to determine if the scales are OK as well.

Just for a guide and not for comfort, my cases ( a mixture) with 26 grains of Vit 133, full length resised, the fill level with that charge varies from case to case. Often its just at the bottom of the section the bullet is seated in (neck) - occassionally its about 1-2 mm off the top of the case.

If Varget is grainier than vit 133 then it will fill the case fuller - more air space between the individual grains of powder.

To satisfy any safety concerns - my rifle is a rem 700, 1in 9 twist firing 40 grain v-max with powder charge above -its a compressed load but with Vit 133 the powder is not actually compressed in the case - the fill level is just below the seat of the bullet. Maybe my powder is finer? The weight is however correct. I cant tell you the number of cases I have emptied back onto the scales because they 'look' too full ! Always the same 26 grains though !

Data from Lee modern reloading manual.

I'm happy to assist if you are anywhere near Chester.

Edited by Kes

This seems to be getting all a little bit to complex for a novice loader .So lets try a bit of logic and reverse engineering. Just fill a prepared case to the bottom of the neck of the case and give it a couple of taps on the bench to settle the powder down . Then pour the powder onto your scales and see how much it weighs . This will give you a good idea of how much powder the case will hold without compressing it . If this amount of powder in the case is within your loading data then you will have a very good idea cf how much powder you can put in the case .

Harnser .

Exactly my point Harnser you can faff about with software but it sounds like it just confuses. As long as he follows your procedure and it takes more than 25 grains its within the guideline charge for the weight of bullet, there is nothing wrong with anything else powder is fine as is the brass and bullet. I used varget for ages with 55grn bullets and there were an awful lot of foxes that didn't like the combination ;)

Just as a side issue we chronoed and tested a few loads today homeloaded rounds were within 40fps versus factory with 100fps variance. Whats also of note is I tried different bullets with the same charge both produced tiny groups with one 0.75 inch lower than the other. For me the charge is less important than getting the bullet set at the right distance from the lands. Also interesting with regard to this thread is its using varget again but in a .243 case which is only about 2/3 full does everything I need it to. Goes bang does 2900fps down range and produces sub half inch groups

Thanks for all your help I'll start a lot lower and let you know how i get on thanks again, Steve

ok mate ime useing .223 sako brass.

with both 50grn and 55grn bullets

i have had loads up to the 26 grains but they as you said where full to the brim and i dident like the look of them so backed down to 24 gr and got 1/3inch groups but this is to little powder i think so i now use 24.5grn and got pretty nice groups shot at 500m yesterday and got 3.5inch group! load some at 24.5 grains up to 25.5 grns 4 of each and se what their like it may seem like a wast of bullets and powder but trigger time is trigger time and will help you get used to your rifle

Edited by highseas