Deer walks past whilst i'm bunny shooting

jasper3

Out Last night, early evening had the 22Lr and the 17Hmr getting a few rabbits for the table, Charlie never showed for a close encounter :no: but this little fella wondered through... I didn't shoot him, I didn.t have the right cal.... but still nice to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfKBTTNVORA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jasper3

Things like this add to the pleasure of shooting! It is surprising what you can see when you are out and about with a gun, and for me the taking of a good shot is just an added bonus!

Nice video mate, it goes to show that you were well enough hidden and quiet enough for the deer not to have seen you and panicked! :good:

So what's the minimum caliber for shooting deer, and are you entitled to shoot them all year round.

Don't some of you b@ggers flame me for asking, as i genuinly don't know and have no intention of going f.a.c.

Am just curious.

Edited by RUNCEMOUNT

So what's the minimum caliber for shooting deer, and are you entitled to shoot them all year round.

Don't some of you b@ggers flame me for asking, as i genuinly don't know and have no intention of going f.a.c.

Am just curious.

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Northern Ireland

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.

For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.

To ensure safe and humane shooting, stalkers must practise and maintain their skill with the rifle and must check at regular intervals that their rifle is still zeroed correctly - i.e. that the bullet is striking a selected point of aim at a chosen range.

The rifle must ALWAYS be test-fired, and the zero verified or corrected, after a knock or other impact, or after any unaccountably wild shot. No one should continue stalking in such a case, until this zeroing (or sighting-in) has been done

That's a cracking video! Sitting here watching it I couldn't help but take the shot in my head each time it stopped and presented well. Not that I shoot all the stuff I see, but I often run that trigger pull through my head at that moment where I would take the shot if I wanted it.

Thanks for posting. I think I need to get one of these scope cam things and start recording the best bits myself.

EDIT... I forgot to say - I'd take an experience like that over taking a shot on a Fox any time. I really enjoy watching Deer go about their business without being disturbed. :yes:

Edited by njc110381

:lol: I was taking the shot in my head too :lol:

the rifles stayed firmly on the ground, rules are rules, it pays to stick to them,

But I can claim i shot it with the camera though :lol:

he did actualy come back and was walking around the back of the tree , its nice to watch sometimes, you can learn so much by just looking

Edited by jasper3

its nice to watch sometimes, you can learn so much by just looking

Exactly. You'll learn a lot more about your quarry if you let it carry on sometimes. Quite often it teaches you how they work so you're one step ahead of them next time.

I remember the day that I sussed the Deer on my main shoot. They run when bumped but will often circle around you and try to scent you, then carry on where they left off once you've gone. If I back off across the wind a fair way and get settled in they will usually walk right back into you! :yes: