HW97KT / TX200 and Dieseling

spookytooth

Hi All

Just had a great afternoon's plinking and target shooting with Stokie3, me with my HW97KT and him with his TX200. As always, there was nothing between the two performance-wise. But an interesting thing arose. Both weapons are only a few weeks old, and we knew my HW97 diesels (still not shot my first tin of 500 pellets yet), but we always thought his TX wasn't. However, this afto when stokie3 fired his TX200 I noticed there is a fine mist at the muzzle, but there wasn't with mine (got stokie to fire a few rounds off so I could check). Just wondered if both are in fact dieseling, and it's just the different moderators on each gun which is making the difference. After reading about modding the moderator in the HW97K I'd opened it up and saw there is a spring with a sleeve of felt wrapped around it. Maybe this is absorbing the mist that we saw on the TX? So the question is really, is a small misty cloud at the muzzle of a TX a sign that it is dieseling still? :hmm:

Wouldn't this affect both guns tho?

Yes probably, but different moderators may have different effects on trapping the vapour. Also if the TX is .177 the air will be compressed more than your .22 so the affect may be more noticable.

My PCP sometimes has a visible misty discharge so unless there is a loud cracking and problems with accuracy I would say there isn't a problem.

Yes probably, but different moderators may have different effects on trapping the vapour. Also if the TX is .177 the air will be compressed more than your .22 so the affect may be more noticable.

My PCP sometimes has a visible misty discharge so unless there is a loud cracking and problems with accuracy I would say there isn't a problem.

Both guns are .22 - I forgot to mention that. Yeah this is what I wondered in my initial post about the moderators acting differently. They are both performing excellently so far, so it was more a puzzle rather than worry that made me ask. Incidentally we did notice that the TX was more silent than my 97 - this was at about 50 feet away.

Thanks everyone anyway for your suggestions :)

Hi All

Just had a great afternoon's plinking and target shooting with Stokie3, me with my HW97KT and him with his TX200. As always, there was nothing between the two performance-wise. But an interesting thing arose. Both weapons are only a few weeks old, and we knew my HW97 diesels (still not shot my first tin of 500 pellets yet), but we always thought his TX wasn't. However, this afto when stokie3 fired his TX200 I noticed there is a fine mist at the muzzle, but there wasn't with mine (got stokie to fire a few rounds off so I could check). Just wondered if both are in fact dieseling, and it's just the different moderators on each gun which is making the difference. After reading about modding the moderator in the HW97K I'd opened it up and saw there is a spring with a sleeve of felt wrapped around it. Maybe this is absorbing the mist that we saw on the TX? So the question is really, is a small misty cloud at the muzzle of a TX a sign that it is dieseling still? :hmm:

keep putting a few more pellets through it ,it takes about 700 or so to fully settle and bed a new rifle/pistol in and no two are equal(some diesel slightly others not at all),check your groups and if all is well then dont worry ,as they will bed in .i assure you.however if you start to get a few pellet fliers and your groups open up,then if guns are only a few weeks old ,you could always get them checked at gunshop /shop where you got from,or contact manufacturer for advice as they will advise and they will be gauranteed ,but on whole dont worry ,as they should settle down.keep me posted as i have a newish tx(owned 5 years and only just on second tin of pellets that came with combo .atb jay :good: :good:

Hi Jay. Yeah as I said both guns are firing really well and accurately - it was just the mist from the TX that puzzled us. I know my 97KT is dieseling still but I expected that - anyway I like the smell! :lol:

To everyone -

On another note Beretta28g said not to use silicone oil. We have only used this as a protection on the outside of the barrel and stock - NOT internally. Is it still a bad idea to use this stuff? It's marketed under the Bisley label.

Hi Jay. Yeah as I said both guns are firing really well and accurately - it was just the mist from the TX that puzzled us. I know my 97KT is dieseling still but I expected that - anyway I like the smell! :lol:

To everyone -

On another note Beretta28g said not to use silicone oil. We have only used this as a protection on the outside of the barrel and stock - NOT internally. Is it still a bad idea to use this stuff? It's marketed under the Bisley label.

dont get the silicone oil any where near the sliding loading ports or youll be asking for trouble ,use only a molybdenum grease such as abbey lt2 on this area ,only use silicone on the stocks to make em shine up lovely and you should be reet.and keep firing off the excess oil on your 97k to bed it in .will probably take a whole tin = afew more to settle her .regards jay :good: :good: ps dieseling is not good for your gun as it can no.1 make you over legal limit(not good)and 2 "can put a bulge in your cylinder as the internalls smash into the end of the chamber(explodes)rendering your cherished gun SCRAP

Edited by jason airarms tx