tracing signing over of premium bonds

hushpower

A friends mother before she passed away signed over £14.000 of premium bonds to her grandson ,grandson did it under hand she wasnt well either. Any way she passed away and it has come to light but the grandson denies any wrong doing . it should of been left to the mother the bonds . any ideas on how to trace who they were sighned over to ? you very knowlegible people ,thanks

There is an Act which relates to dependant relatives which allows for any bequest to be challenged upon the death of an individual.

Its one for a solicitor but unless it was a specific gift, backed up by the proper paper work - I would think such an unusual bequest (missing a generation) is challengeable in court.

Get some advice.

Maybe she wanted the grandson to have them, might be difficult to tell now.

I was thinking the same its amazing what people really think deep down, if the mother was unwell is there proof of this? was it all done with a witness ? this could swing 50-50 im thinking.

Usally the most important piece of this jigsaw is a will if there is one, does it say about the funds on there,they are powerful pieces of paper self cert ones aswell brought from the local hardware stores if its signed correctly and witnessed this is the bible to follow.

As far as i know if she transferred them before she died you would have to prove she was mentally incapable at the time and that will rack up ££££ in legal fees.

I know of a family who have racked up millions of £ in legal bills fighting a will to the point that if there is £100 left of the estate they will all have done very well. If the principal matters more then go for it! If you believe the transfer was Fraudulent then that's a different matter.

From first hand personal experience if you try the legal route you can say goodbye to a huge chunk of that money, it got to the stage with us we had to look at engaging the services of a barrister through our solicitors because my sister in laws son felt hard done by, luckily we had a good solicitor friend who instructed an expensive barrister on a favour basis, on seeing the bill it scared my sister in law off but we were told if they call our bluff it will get terribly costly and protracted.

Joker card subject.

Questions:

1 did the old girl have capacity ie if the day she was supposed to sign them over she was gaga lying on a hospital bed then she didn't have capacity. Contact national savings to get dates and copies etc and her GP will be able to say yes or no.

2 was her signature forged? I have a good expert who does the whole xray thing, and yes they can spot a traced signature at 20 yards.

3 did the old girl have a Will? Did it specifically mention or deal with the premium bonds?

Anyways, given the numbers involved it's worth seeing a brief