Plastic dog kennel

Dirty Harry

I am thinking of getting a kennel and run made from recycled agricultural plastic. I saw them at the three counties show and they look quite good. It's basically plastic stock board cut up into a pig arc shape with a floor and an 8ft wire run attached. Initially it would be for my Gwp for daytime use but when I get another it would be in it all the time.

I like the fact it requires no maintenance and can be moved very easily.

It's also a lot cheaper than a wooden kennel and run and if it were no good for the dogs I could use it for my pigs or chickens.

Has anyone got any experience with them? If so I would like to hear about it.

Harry

Might be OK for your chickens but personally I wouldn't put my dogs in that.

It looks very restricted and seems to have very little security.

An intended thief could pick the Whole lot up and be off with your dog!

There again -Everybody to their own?

Without sounding rude how secure are your dogs?, mine lives in an open top kennel with bolted gate but I don't lock it. If someone wants to steal something they'll always find a way in my opinion.

I agree that the kennel does look a bit restricted.

I am still very much undecided. At the moment it would be a day run for the dog when I'm out and this would get him out of his crate in the house so he would have more space.

I have been looking at this http://www.duchyfarmkennels.co.uk/product_desc.php?id=15

It's pretty standard and the whole thing is 8x4. As for security you could have the hinges off in a moment or use a saw to get in if you wanted.

The plastic one I might get is this http://s357332118.e-shop.info/shop/article_10215/Deluxe-Eco-Hen-Ark---Green.html?shop_param=cid%3D33%26aid%3D10215%26

Ignore the fact it says it's a chicken shed but they don't have a photo of the one I want but the kennel is the same size 5x4 and the run is extendable in 4ft sections so it would have an 8ft run. That's quite a bit bigger than the wooden kennel. The only thing against it I can see is it's not full height but still high enough.

Yes it's not thief proof but neither is my house and living in the sticks on a farm if they wanted the dogs out of the house they could easily.

Still interested to hear what people think.

Harry

Those plastic ones look fine for chickens albeit a bit pricey :oops: but I think any sizeable dog would break out of it in no time. Also it’s got no access for YOU unless you want to crawl around in doggy do! :no:

Get a proper job, the duchy ones look OK. :good:

Forget about security as nothing will stop a determined thief, just don’t make it easy. :good:

the plastic ones are surprisingly sturdy as I looked at some at the Herts show. Cleaning wise its actually simple and being plastic they could just be pressure washed. Not sure on size though, the other thing is its presumably a house trained dog going in it so touch wood you shouldn't get messing in the kennel area. As for security if DH's GWP likes people in the back garden as much as mine does then you might be ok