.243 Moderator

Maidment78

Morning,

Daft question ime from me again. I have just got my .243 and used it for the first time on Sat, brilliant, love it and far lighter than I thought it would be.

Question is how quiet should it be with a moderator? I ended up going for a PES unit as it was slim and stainless and I do shoot in horrid weather so did not want it to rust out, been using 17 and 22 for a while and they are seriously quiet so when i pulled with the 243 I was not expecting the amount of sound that came out, no kick just a bang.

I have a noise meter here so will go and compare but it was quite a bit.

Paul.

will give it a go tomorrow with the tester and see what the diff is, just suprised me thats all, does anyone find that after the first shot anything stays about then comes in to allow a second or is it just a one shot and leave?

Not deer as to be frank more than one would be a pain to carry but was more thinking of foxing. (which I will be doing Wednesday night all going well)

I've come to the conclusion that the bigger the bullet and the faster it flies, the louder it is. My .22 Hornet isn't quite as quiet as a HMR, the .243 isn't as quiet as the Hornet. There's only so much a moderator can do.

On a positive note (if you see it that way) the Pes is a good mod. It's not like you've wasted your money on something rubbish. Take it off and let one go - then you'll see why no matter what you put on the end it's going to make some noise. :good: