Travel Case Requirements

SidneyG

I don't know your perrazi case, but I have used an inexpensive plastic case a few times back and forth to the US. Mine is from Flambeau. I use key locks though, not combination. It is not possible to get into the case if you don't have the key or a good saw. It fulfills all of the airline requirements I've needed.

Thanks,

Rick

Yes all good info there.

I assume your current case is polypropelene and as long as it's pretty robust and lockable there should be no problem. The biggest mitake is to assume your chosen airline will take/handle your gun/s. Many of them will not and even the ones that do have a get out clause...the flight captain has the last word and if he says he's not flying with guns/ammo on board then you're stuffed. Check it all out before hand otherwise you can find yourself at an airport with guns and nowhere to go!

SidneyG,

I agree with Blaser F3 and the the quoted article.

I've taken firearms abroad through UK airports on several occasions.

Have all paperwork in order (don't forget good insurance), including airline authorisation IN WRITING. Add an hour to check in.

On the issue of cases. I would use a specific transit case and not the one the gun came in. Be absolutely certain that your case WILL get abused.

As an example, the first time I took guns, we used an 'airline-approved' hard case costing about £90 with aluminium reinforced corners and plastic covered plywood sections. in addition to two built in locks we used luggage straps. After two journeys - four check-ins, it was no longer usable.

The suggestion of Americase or alternatively, a Peli case cannot be faulted. They are well constructed, airline approved, heavy and expensive. They are also used by police, military and professionals because they actually work.

If your case bursts open in transit, the hassle and cost will make getting a quality case in the first place seem a cheap option!

Also, remember that if you go to, or transit through the USA they require TSA-approved locks, for which they have a master-key. Ignore this and they may use a different type of 'master-key' to gain access!

Enjoy your trips,

Andrew

Just wanted to pick the collective pw brain. When taking a shotgun abroad, via airline, is it necessary to buy an aluminium lockable flight case, or would my standard perazzi case with combination locks be acceptable?

cheers guys, will look into getting another case perhaps. I do have a padded perazzi bag that the case fits into for more protection. I was planning on shooting a competition in Italy, but is now looking doubtfull due to the ridiculas delays stil on going with shotgun renewals in West Mercia. They are currently dealing with applications from January! Remind me where my £2100 council tax a year goes??!! :/

Hi, I go sometimes twice a year to Germany,

I take both shotguns and a 6.5 x 55 Rifle. both go in lockable airline approved polypropylene cases. Ammo must be kept separate and can go in your luggage bag, but that is then handled by Currier the same as the Firearm. You need to tell the Airline what you are taking.I insist it's marked on the ticket, usually says " one firearm " just in case.

I also put my Mobile No sticky posted on the case just in case again.

Highlander has it right, You will obviously also need an EU Firearm pass.

Some of the cheap flight airline don't allow any Firearms on their flights.

Generally you have to pay quite a lot extra Think about £35 to £40 as a Currier has to take the Firearm and be

responsible for its safety he actually should take it, and put it in the airlines hold. He will usually turn up with your firearm,just a few minutes before boarding and goes through the same boarding gate as the passengers, usually he is allowed through before the passengers.

I always watch for him coming carrying my case, and if he isn't there within 5 Min's of boarding ask the airline boarding Lady to enquire where he is .

As a few years ago my Rifle went missing for two days between Manchester and Stuttgart airports not with standing all the high security.

When you book in at the desk tell the Lady you are taking a firearm and she will ring, for I think it is now the Customs man but used to be the airport Police, they will be with you within a few minutes and they will need to see your Passport & FAC cert & EU pass, plus you will need to open the case and they check the serial numbers correspond, then it's have a good time. and the Currier man takes the Firearm.

Up until last year return journey my Firearms have come round on the Carousel at Manchester, I know they shouldn't and should go to the special; luggage department. Where on showing of your FAC it's handed to you. The customs are generally brilliant.

Regarding your renewal. What about sending a letter to The Chief Constable and ask him to supply you with a temporary "Section Seven Certificate" so you can enter your competition abroad.You will need to show proof of it.

He will absolutely not like having the extra work,but cannot reasonably refuse you under the circumstances, I would have an each way bet your original certs will be fast tracked and put to the front and sorted, worth trying me thinks.

Best wishes to all.

Also, remember that if you go to, or transit through the USA they require TSA-approved locks, for which they have a master-key. Ignore this and they may use a different type of 'master-key' to gain access!

Enjoy your trips,

Andrew

This is not true for guns and ammunition cases (only general luggage). You should NOT use a TSA lock. You should be the only one who has a key to your guns. When you check them on the US side, you bring them to the inspection point and give them the keys. They open the case, inspect the gun, and lock it back up. They give you the keys back and the gun(s) are secured.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Sidney,

Long time no see.

Here's the damage to my Perazzi gun case after a return trip from from Malaga to Stansted with Easyjet. Looks like it's been dragged along the runway.

Not only was the almost new case damaged beyond use the Essevierre stock was broken through the hand too, I can't find the photos of it though. No joy claiming from Easyjet as sporting equipment is 'limited release' and is carried without insurance cover, so make sure you have your own. Luckily for me my insurer NFU paid for me to return to Italy to have a new stock made and for a new guncase. The stock was upgraded wood and as I'm also left handed I'd had the stock listed as a separate item to the gun so they knew of the extra value.

Phil

Edited by PhilR