Tr1gg0R

Hi guys, I'm sure you're all sick to death of being asked stupid questions from people who are new to shooting!

I'm 20 an haven't ever been shooting apart from targets once when I was 13 and from what I can remember I did quite well then... Anyway the point is I'm getting a second hand .22 (not sure of the model - will know in the next hour or so) and I'm not sure about legislation - I know that I can only shoot on private land with owners permission but do I need a firearms license to own the rifle? And do I need any sort of license/certificate to shoot rabbit, pigeon, magpie, crow or rats?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks guys :)

Great, thanks pal.

Now I guess it's just a case of finding out the model so I can work out if its more or less powerful than that... It isn't a co2 powered one, does that guarentee it's less than 12ftlb <- what does that mean by the way?

Great, thanks pal.

Now I guess it's just a case of finding out the model so I can work out if its more or less powerful than that... It isn't a co2 powered one, does that guarentee it's less than 12ftlb <- what does that mean by the way?

its not the model that will tell you - its a chronograph test - take it to your local gunshop and they will test it for you to be sure.

The other important thing to know about is that you cannot lawfully take your air rifle into any public place without a good reason, i.e going to range or travelling to or from your land. Taking it to your mate's house to let him have a look would not be a good reason in the eys of the law.

Hi guys, I'm sure you're all sick to death of being asked stupid questions from people who are new to shooting!

I'm 20 an haven't ever been shooting apart from targets once when I was 13 and from what I can remember I did quite well then... Anyway the point is I'm getting a second hand .22 (not sure of the model - will know in the next hour or so) and I'm not sure about legislation - I know that I can only shoot on private land with owners permission but do I need a firearms license to own the rifle? And do I need any sort of license/certificate to shoot rabbit, pigeon, magpie, crow or rats?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks guys :)

Just a note, you will be ok for shooting the species at close range. Rats and rabbits will be ok, but make sure you comply with the general licenses for the birds. :good:

Bruno - if the police happened to pull you over and happen to ask to check your boot (obviously very unlikely) and discover the weapon and the reason you give them for travelling with the weapon is that you were just off to a mates house to doss around with it they wouldnt be best pleased. Course you'd just tell them you were off to your permission I suppose! This is all hypothetical - 1 in a million chance of having your car searched unless perhaps an uneducated neighbour saw you putting the gun in the car, panicked and called the police!

Edited by Tr1gg0R

Brill thanks Tractor - yes I noticed it was very short, thought someone had perhaps shortened it.

Any ideas on range? The guy I'm getting it from scoffed when I suggested 35-40 yards and said it could hit targets at 100 metres - I think that's unrealistic personally but I dont know a great deal about air rifles!

Simply taking the gun to a mates and showing him is not really enough of an excuse at to why you have it in public, even if it's cased and that, the law might not be happy with it. You should be carrying to a range, vermin control gig or to somewhere where you will be doing some target practice ;)

Simply taking the gun to a mates and showing him is not really enough of an excuse at to why you have it in public, even if it's cased and that, the law might not be happy with it. You should be carrying to a range, vermin control gig or to somewhere where you will be doing some target practice ;)

I carry mine everywhere in a hardcase in the van as I shoot everyday at work. Strickly speaking tho I shouldnt have a Stanley knife in my pocket all day or crow bar behind seat

I still cannot see any reason why you cannot take your gun anywhere you like as long as it is securly fastened in a case/cover so that it cannot be fired.If I want to show my mates my new gun then I will quite happily throw it in the boot-drive around the M25 for a couple of months and then walk with it to his house-I consider this a reasonable excuse for having the gun with me-what should I do?carry a sketch of it with me?A "public place" covers a wide amount of possibilities-obviousley you would be stupid to walk thru a busy shopping centre but down a couple of streets to a mates house is surely acceptable.As long as you meet the age requirements I dont see what laws are being broken-If I want to carry my gun in the boot of my car or over my shoulder in a case to the other side of the village to show it to a mate-then I will do so(and have done so for many years)

Great for 30m but I was an amateur shot when I had a got about 15 years ago . Does it have a muzzle thingy on it that looks like a silencer?

Join a club and practice your ranges but I'm guessing useless after 40 yrds max as were never brilliant from day one even if they do look cool.

Only saw it for a couple of minutes but i'm pretty sure it didn't have anything extra on the end of the barrel... apart from a healthy amount of rust!

I still cannot see any reason why you cannot take your gun anywhere you like as long as it is securly fastened in a case/cover so that it cannot be fired.If I want to show my mates my new gun then I will quite happily throw it in the boot-drive around the M25 for a couple of months and then walk with it to his house-I consider this a reasonable excuse for having the gun with me-what should I do?carry a sketch of it with me?A "public place" covers a wide amount of possibilities-obviousley you would be stupid to walk thru a busy shopping centre but down a couple of streets to a mates house is surely acceptable.As long as you meet the age requirements I dont see what laws are being broken-If I want to carry my gun in the boot of my car or over my shoulder in a case to the other side of the village to show it to a mate-then I will do so(and have done so for many years)

The law states that you cannot carry an air weapon in a public place without good reason. There is case law regarding knife legislation where a chef was found guilty of carrying kitchen knives home to be sharpened. The judge ruled that there was no necessity for this as they could have been sharpened at work. If you took your air rifle round to a mate's house for him to have a look at it then the same principle could be applied; i.e. why can't your mate come to your house to see the gun?

When new they only kicked out 10 ftlb that's why their not liked for hunting.

Their rare as not many produced compared to other guns by webley but great for hide shooting being so short.

10 ft/lb is ample for hunting. I have de-tuned my Prosport to around 10.5 ft/lb as it shoots sweeter at that power level and it knocks squirresl and pigeons over all day long. Check the Chairgun data. There's hardly any difference between 10 ft/lb and 12 ft/lb. Everyone is fixated on getting their guns to shoot just under the legal level when there is no need.