Fox litter sizes?

Last year I noticed that the foxes inour area were having litters that normally had 5 cubs yet this year I am only seeing around 2 or 3 cubs maximum per litter. Could this be down to the food availability, weather conditions or is it natures way of controling the numbers?

Is anyone else noticing this in other areas?

I would be happy to hear your comments and thoughts.

Last year I noticed that the foxes inour area were having litters that normally had 5 cubs yet this year I am only seeing around 2 or 3 cubs maximum per litter. Could this be down to the food availability, weather conditions or is it natures way of controling the numbers?

Is anyone else noticing this in other areas?

I would be happy to hear your comments and thoughts.

That is a low number ,this year all the litters ive seen and delt with have been between 4 to 6 ,and have to say its a very health year in my area as ive taken 159 foxs so far this year with 8 more in the last week alone.

Like you say it maybe lack of food stuff but i would not of thought so .

Would be interesting to know what others think :good:

my area cubs are in groups of 5's or 6's!

also at work the other day we had a dead lamb it was put in the yard ready to be picked up.....next morning it had been pulled across the yard and was missing its head the rest of the body was still in tact!

im assumeing it was a fox?! but why would he/she just take the head??

sorry to change the subject a little frenchie! :good:

also at work the other day we had a dead lamb it was put in the yard ready to be picked up.....next morning it had been pulled across the yard and was missing its head the rest of the body was still in tact!

I'd be amazed if that was a fox, I have had foxes take FULLY grown Canadas 800 yards back home. Maybe a cub, but I'm still not convinced.

Badger in the area?

Farm Dogs?

Cats have a habit of eating heads, and drag things a bit before it dawns on them they have no chance.

Who knows, I'd be interested to hear if the culprit ever gets found! :good:

we have geese and ducks in pens outside on the farm which i shoot and foxes always eat the head and neck then move on to another bird.

bornfree