Re-finishing stock

rimmie

Hi all,my browning grade 5 stock is looking a bit tired and also it's got some dents and scratches.what's the best kit to buy to really bring the grain out and what's the best way of removing dents/scratches.there's a gunsmith locally that is holland and holland trained and everyone says he's the nuts but he takes ages and it's going to cost £150-£250 So I'm thinking of doing it my self any suggestions

How bad are the dents? Light scratches and dents can steamed out either using an iron with damp cloth or kettle, What finish has the stock got? varnish is best removed with nitromorse, then raise the dents then finish using ever finer grades of emery. Start with 240 grade and work down to 12 or 1500. Wet the stock between each sanding and allow to dry in the sun. Tape over the chequering to avoid damage. Stain and finally oil with any of the available finishing oils. I've done several now and its amazing what results can be acheived. Regards

Hi all,my browning grade 5 stock is looking a bit tired and also it's got some dents and scratches.what's the best kit to buy to really bring the grain out and what's the best way of removing dents/scratches.there's a gunsmith locally that is holland and holland trained and everyone says he's the nuts but he takes ages and it's going to cost £150-£250 So I'm thinking of doing it my self any suggestions

[/quot

[/

Trust me if you can get a full London oil finish on both stock and forend for £150 to £250 from an x Holland Finisher/stocker grab the offer with both hand but it must be a true London finish. We are in a very low cost area with small overheads and we are £220 plus postage and it takes 3 weeks to get a proper finish, so go shake that mans hand..... quick