To insure

Flashgun

looking for advice i have got a new cocker and wondering if i should insure her or not and who with. cheers.

I'd say without doubt get insurance, look at the details of the cover and get an 'insured for life policy' if you can. You may never have to use it but the costs for relatively minor surgery if ever needed can be frightening. We have used Petplan over the years and they've paid out some serious money, having said that the three we have now have been trouble free up 'til now and it may seem like wasted money but it's peace of mind. Even people like Tesco, Asda, Argos etc. do pet insurance now but read the small print :good:

I quite agree with the above post. I'd always have mine insured just for the peace of mind it gives you. I'd rather pay out something each month and know we're covered. My first Munster broke a cruciate so that was a few thousand pounds 10 years ago. The middle two were ok but then we had one who became ill suddenly, was referred and in one day ran up a bill of £3,500 (then she sadly died) but all that was covered. So far the baby has been injury free.

I quite agree with the above post. I'd always have mine insured just for the peace of mind it gives you. I'd rather pay out something each month and know we're covered. My first Munster broke a cruciate so that was a few thousand pounds 10 years ago. The middle two were ok but then we had one who became ill suddenly, was referred and in one day ran up a bill of £3,500 (then she sadly died) but all that was covered. So far the baby has been injury free.

Definitely the 'cover for life'

I don't , sure its a risk but i hear of mild bills for the same works uninsured that cost loads more if it is known your insured. Being synical when i sold cars body shops used to phone for values so they knew how much they could get away with charging befor a car would simply be written off. Would i spend £3500 on a working dog? no its never going to be fit for serious duty after that. I don't want to sound calous here but who wants a working dog thats less than fit for duty? Ok a familly member and pet you might be ok with having three legs, epilepcey or a dogey ticker heck i even see some on weels but not a worker. I will take the hit or when it comes and make the choices

I don't , sure its a risk but i hear of mild bills for the same works uninsured that cost loads more if it is known your insured. Being synical when i sold cars body shops used to phone for values so they knew how much they could get away with charging befor a car would simply be written off. Would i spend £3500 on a working dog? no its never going to be fit for serious duty after that. I don't want to sound calous here but who wants a working dog thats less than fit for duty? Ok a familly member and pet you might be ok with having three legs, epilepcey or a dogey ticker heck i even see some on weels but not a worker. I will take the hit or when it comes and make the choices

I don't get that.......i've spoken to loads of people who have had busted ligaments on Springers especially, had them 'rapaired' and they've been good to go. Quite why you'd compare a dog to an inanimate thing like a car I don't know? Mind you I was talking to a breeder who had a great little yellow lab bitch, he was taking her out that afternoon after re-introducing her gunfire to try her again with shot as she was a little gun shy, he was going to shoot her that very afternoon if she hadn't improved, I don't get that either........

I'd say without doubt get insurance, look at the details of the cover and get an 'insured for life policy' if you can. You may never have to use it but the costs for relatively minor surgery if ever needed can be frightening. We have used Petplan over the years and they've paid out some serious money, having said that the three we have now have been trouble free up 'til now and it may seem like wasted money but it's peace of mind. Even people like Tesco, Asda, Argos etc. do pet insurance now but read the small print :good:

hiya i looked into pet plan insurance did you know your dog isnt covered if it gets hurt while working, thanks for your advice.

I don't get that.......i've spoken to loads of people who have had busted ligaments on Springers especially, had them 'rapaired' and they've been good to go. Quite why you'd compare a dog to an inanimate thing like a car I don't know? Mind you I was talking to a breeder who had a great little yellow lab bitch, he was taking her out that afternoon after re-introducing her gunfire to try her again with shot as she was a little gun shy, he was going to shoot her that very afternoon if she hadn't improved, I don't get that either........

No i don't get that either, gun shy hardly suprising with that attitude or intoduction and she could always be given or sold as a pet. I have paid for vet work and will pay, like someone else says "not covered while working" etc. "pre-existing condition clauses" thats the difference between a breeder and a trainer, indeed i struggle to use the term breeder and think Farmer of dogs is more apt from the desciption given

Let me tell you a story, Two years back my neighbour had his sheep dog badly kicked by a cow. Most said Shoot it but the dog had served him well and he also felt he now owed it being a good kind sort of bloke. Anyhow the op cost him £500, i bet it would have been double that if it was insured or if he seemed wealthy! Doubt me? look on the recent thread about a dog with the runs and how much the guy paid being insured :rolleyes: To cut a long story short it gave him just long enough to bring on another trained young dog he purchased into real work, but the old dog was just too slow to work a few months after.

hiya i looked into pet plan insurance did you know your dog isnt covered if it gets hurt while working, thanks for your advice.

We were with the kennel club,i own two working springers ones 8 ones 5, you are covered if they are working dogs.i,ve claimed twice for the 8 year old for rips £250 each time,and this would have been cheaper till i told them the dog was insured,kennel club just put it up from £30 to £35 per month per dog so i,ve cancelled it it works out at £840 per year and when we did claim i,m sure we had to pay a £50 excess.

so in total for the two dogs £60 per month for 13 years works out at £9,360

Edited by Dustem Dave