Taking a gun off ticket

I mentioned this to my local firearms dept as I have received my renewal papers and am considering this.

The gun in question is a T Bland 10 bore with 2 5/8" chambers.

I cannot get shells for it, I don't load my own and as its a Damascus barreled hammer gun, wouldn't dream of putting anything other than lead through it which means for wild-fowling, its redundant.

It falls within the obsolete calibre definitions from the Home Office guidelines but when I did mention this, the FO went on about proof house certificates which makes me think they are thinking about deactivation which is not going to happen.

Under the rules, if this gun is off ticket, I can display it with no security and sell it on without restriction providing the gun is only kept for display or a curio and since there are no commercially available shells and as stated, I don't home load then legally I should be able to keep this off ticket.

Anyone done this before or any idea how I go about this without having to jump through several hoops backwards.

The response from my FO suggests they will not allow this easily.

Its on SGC.

I want it off as I can keep it should I ever give up shooting.

I keep it now because its lovely to look at and hold and to be honest, it would look great on the wall.......I cant do that when its on ticket.

Plus it's worth more as a curiosity off ticket because anyone can purchase it.

I have a friend who has done this with a 14bore (I think), the FEO didn't like it but in the end had to accept it was an obsolete caibre and removed it from his SGC. A lovely old gun with Damascus barrels.

Short chambered 10 bores are s58.2

The only issue would be if you had ammunition. At that stage local police could get uppity, otherwise it simply is not an issue.

Inform them that you require the gun to be taken off certificate at the upcoming renewal.

Refer them to Guidance if they have a problem and as has been said if they are still being obstructive talk to BASC. Your FEO is clearly very ignorant and doesn't have a leg to stand on.

All the best

Andrew

I mentioned this to my local firearms dept as I have received my renewal papers and am considering this.

The gun in question is a T Bland 10 bore with 2 5/8" chambers.

I cannot get shells for it, I don't load my own and as its a Damascus barreled hammer gun, wouldn't dream of putting anything other than lead through it which means for wild-fowling, its redundant.

It falls within the obsolete calibre definitions from the Home Office guidelines but when I did mention this, the FO went on about proof house certificates which makes me think they are thinking about deactivation which is not going to happen.

Under the rules, if this gun is off ticket, I can display it with no security and sell it on without restriction providing the gun is only kept for display or a curio and since there are no commercially available shells and as stated, I don't home load then legally I should be able to keep this off ticket.

Anyone done this before or any idea how I go about this without having to jump through several hoops backwards.

The response from my FO suggests they will not allow this easily.

I've got a 4 bore 2x8's and 2x10's all obsolete calibre, I write them onto my own ticket at the start of the wildfowling season and at the end of the wildfowling season I send in my ticket and ask for them to be removed never had a problem.

I also shoot quite a few obsolete calibre rifles but these I tend to keep on my ticket unless I'm doing a 1 for 1 in which case I just ask for x rifle to be removed and the slot changed for y rifle.

The problem with 10 bores is that not all are section 58.2 and it's hard for them at first to differentiate (remembering that at the end of the day they're pen pushers not shooters).

I would suggest either A:Selling the gun to me. Or B: Take the gun to an RFD get him to confirm in writing that the gun is obsolete calibre and send it with a copy of the home office guidelines referring to obsolete calibres with the relevent part highlighted.

By the way I was serious about selling it to me if ever you want to part with it give us a nod :good:.

Mike...

Thanks for the replys guys.

My daughter has said she would like it once my mortal coil has been popped.........hmmm, nice to be thinking so far ahead..I hope.

Obviously she can legally own it but one of my trains of thought was what if I had an accident and this was still on ticket. Would the Police have it away and she be unable to get it back.

Loads of possibilities and has been said, it will be worth more off ticket so it could be sold to collectors.

Ammunition wise, when I got this gun it also came with boxes of Eley Kynoch paper cases which I eventually exhausted and since then have not been able to obtain any more factory ammo.

I have seen 2 7/8" ammo on sale but thats too big for my gun although I have been assured it would fire them (not even going to try).

Homeloading is an option but the outlay on equipment coupled with finding a suitable lead alternative that wont wreck the barrels means that the cost of shells when weighed against the number of outings the gun would get would be prohibitive.

Think I will give BASC a tinkle before sending off my renewal.

As an after thought, anyone any ideas on how I would get a genuine valuation for it.

Proof marks indicate it was made in the early 1890's, Nitro proofed in 1974 and when dimensions checked 5 years ago they were still identical to proof.

I have not fired it since.

Edited by Sprackles

Sorry if it sounds a bit of a glib answer but,

' it's worth what the man will pay for it.'

Seriously, you could go to an auctioneer with experience selling English shotguns and get a valuation - they will probably charge a %age of the value. Problem is, look at the guide prices at the auctions and then look at the selling prices realised. They are often quite a lot out. Look at the online auction catalogues to get a 'feel' and be honest when you assess the condition. I suspect that after you'd looked through the guide prices and realised prices for two or three auctions (Holt's, Bonhams, Gavin Gardiners etc.) you'll be able to make a guesstimate which will be as good as theirs'.

Back to the issue of the antique (short-chambered) ten coming off licence. If you know a helpful dealer he might be prepared to put it through his books for a nominal sum i.e. you give him a s2 10 bore shotgun which he takes in to stock, then writes it off his books as an antique and gives it back to you as an antique. After all many an RFD would be happy to sell you an antique s58.2 shotgun without a certificate, as a 'wall-hanger'.

Hope you manage to get this issue sorted out!

Andy