Reloading Kits

HI all

I am looking to start reloading fairly soon. I will be reloading .223rem and .243win. My principal reason is accuracy but as the Federal 55gr Nosler my .223 likes are £30.00 for 20 there will be an element of saving to had there as well.

I dont mind paying for quality as long as it lasts. I have an uncle in West Virginia who might be able to get a kit over there and send it over as a gift as has been discussed on here before.

Many thanks.

HI all

I am looking to start reloading fairly soon. I will be reloading .223rem and .243win. My principal reason is accuracy but as the Federal 55gr Nosler my .223 likes are £30.00 for 20 there will be an element of saving to had there as well.

I dont mind paying for quality as long as it lasts. I have an uncle in West Virginia who might be able to get a kit over there and send it over as a gift as has been discussed on here before.

Many thanks.

redding dies and an RCBS press you cant go wrong

I don't see what the RCBS Rockchucker offers over the Redding press ? Does it not make sense to buy it all as a "kit" from the one Vendor? Else you'll be better buying 2nd hand and choosing exactly what you want.

Also Seems like a lot of PW also don't trust RCBS dies and end up with Redding - not just me then :lol:

I don't see what the RCBS Rockchucker offers over the Redding press ? Does it not make sense to buy it all as a "kit" from the one Vendor? Else you'll be better buying 2nd hand and choosing exactly what you want.

Also Seems like a lot of PW also don't trust RCBS dies and end up with Redding - not just me then :lol:

I got rid of my Redding dies and went to RCBS and have no problems anymore so not everyone ends up with Redding!!

You get what you pay for I quess but its worth doing a search on Lee equipment reviews. I bought the Lee 4 turret press kit and apart from the scales ( which I replaced with rcbs 505) it makes some pretty accurate ammunition. The lee collet die has been proven to give less run out than much more expensive ones. Lee have an accuracy guarantee, but have no idea how that works as I have never had a problem in over 500 rnds. If you can afford Redding comp dies etc then I'm sure they are better but it really depends on your budget. Have a think of what sort of accuracy your looking for, are you going to shoot targets at 500yds or deer at 100-200yds, there is little point in investing stacks of cash it you intend to use middle of the road used brass and general hunting heads, the loading equipment is just a part of loading accurate ammo. My lee reloading dies and press, using used( some 12 times or more) remington and federal brass will put 243 100gr rounds in a half inch group at 100yds( sometimes less)

Ps if your loading 2 or more calibes the turret press is ideal as the heads the dies sit in just clip out to save resetting up for each calibre.

Edited by Redgum

i am very new to reloading, i bought a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit from sportsman gun center for my .223 a-bolt. after a few weeks of playing round i am now getting 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards which i am happy with. it is not as complicated as i thought it would be. i figured out that my reloads will be about the same price as ppu 55gr soft points which i pay £10 for, but the reloads is far more accurate. i had my doubts about the lee perfect powder measure but it seems to be pretty good, (it was loads out of this powder measure that i got the 1/2" groups with) the only things i have bought to add to the kit is a Lyman Case Lube Kit and a pair of Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings, (i thought it was odd the kit didn't come with 3 of them). i am going to order a set of 30-06 dies and try reloading for my remy 700 now that i feel i have a good load for the .223. hope this info is of some use!

Edited by aister

i am very new to reloading, i bought a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit from sportsman gun center for my .223 a-bolt. after a few weeks of playing round i am now getting 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards which i am happy with. it is not as complicated as i thought it would be. i figured out that my reloads will be about the same price as ppu 55gr soft points which i pay £10 for, but the reloads is far more accurate. i had my doubts about the lee perfect powder measure but it seems to be pretty good, (it was loads out of this powder measure that i got the 1/2" groups with) the only things i have bought to add to the kit is a Lyman Case Lube Kit and a pair of Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings, (i thought it was odd the kit didn't come with 3 of them). i am going to order a set of 30-06 dies and try reloading for my remy 700 now that i feel i have a good load for the .223. hope this info is of some use!

I have the disk powder measure and use it just to get the rough amount of powder(set it just slightly under the weight I require) I then finish the charge on the rcbs scales with a rcbs trickler.Lee is excellent for the money and after all many of us reload to save a few quid and can't afford to just go out and buy expensive kit. This is were a certain P W member, like an old scratched Max Bygraves record will start wining on that you don't save money reloading. My gear paid for itself in the first six months, it wouldnt have if my remmie could group ppu under an inch but the only thing it was really accurate with RWS and Norma. Its a great hobby to, even better now I have a chrono.