Hertfordshire Pigeon.......

Batch

Harvest time, should be the highlight of the pigeon shooting year.......I have had a distaerous start!! Grabbed a few hours yesterday, 2 days after the rape had been cut.....grand total for 3 1/2 hours ....... 2!!! There is just nothing about at the moment and this is at all times of the day. One fella I shoot with has been out at all hours searching for them over 3 different permissions and nothing, even the farmers have reported very little activity whilst they have been harvetsing. So, who has got all the Herts pigeons in their area? :hmm:

Hi Gary, our permissions are out Hadham way with one just over the border into Essex. Like I said the chap I shoot with is struggling to find any consistency or apttern to their behaviour!! unfortunatle I am not able to get out at all for reccy, which has a massive drawback when it comes to results, but would have thought my buddy would have at least seen some kind of pattern and crop preference by now?

Have seen plenty on my Journey home from Sandy along the A1, but next to none on our permissions!! Guess they just see me coming and naff off?! :oops:

Ahhh you are a fair run from here then.

I've not seen a combine yet, which might explain a few things!

I am indeed!! just finding it odd that even the barley that was harvested early did not attract the piddies and tghat was the only field of barley in the area for quite some distance. Guess I will just have to be a little more pacient?! Cheers

Ahhh you are a fair run from here then.

I've not seen a combine yet, which might explain a few things!

I am sure they will put in an appearance before too long?! Knowing my luck it will be whilst I am stuck at work and my shooting buddy gets to fill his boots :/

Its strange at the moment I had a disastrous attempt on Barley last week, fair few feeding but didn't come back. Not much has been cut so far but its happening fast not, I'm not far from you Batch in Braughing at the moment and have seen nothing round here in numbers at all

Its strange at the moment I had a disastrous attempt on Barley last week, fair few feeding but didn't come back. Not much has been cut so far but its happening fast not, I'm not far from you Batch in Braughing at the moment and have seen nothing round here in numbers at all

Tis strange indeed Al4x! I would have thought the pigeons would have been quite switched on to harvested fields, but the polar opposite appears to be the case for some of us :hmm: I hope it picks up soon for you Al4x?

Hi Paul

I saw 200/300 yesterday on a possible new permission near Harlow yesterday, and about 200 on a permission at Codicote, went back to Codicote today 2 of us 5 hours 5 birds, there were none flying around.

The barley is coming in but nothing on the stubble, the Harlow flock was on fields that had had the rape harvested on Sunday and ploughed on Tuesday morning

Edited by bakerboy

Harvest time, should be the highlight of the pigeon shooting year.......I have had a distaerous start!! Grabbed a few hours yesterday, 2 days after the rape had been cut.....grand total for 3 1/2 hours ....... 2!!! There is just nothing about at the moment and this is at all times of the day. One fella I shoot with has been out at all hours searching for them over 3 different permissions and nothing, even the farmers have reported very little activity whilst they have been harvetsing. So, who has got all the Herts pigeons in their area? :hmm:

Hi Paul

I saw 200/300 yesterday on a possible new permission near Harlow yesterday, and about 200 on a permission at Codicote, went back to Codicote today 2 of us 5 hours 5 birds, there were none flying around.

The barley is coming in but nothing on the stubble, the Harlow flock was on fields that had had the rape harvested on Sunday and ploughed on Tuesday morning

Hi Terry,

You're racking up the permissions fella!! It is very frustrating at the moment and no consistency. I spoke to Gino yetserday afternoon and he had been out over Bishops Stortford way and had 25 in 3 hours, but down the road he said there was another bloke out and it sounded like the Somme!! I have this afternoon off to meet up with Gino, so hopefully my luck will change a little?!

Take it easy Terry and we really must meet up for a beer soon!! :good:

Hi Terry,

You're racking up the permissions fella!! It is very frustrating at the moment and no consistency. I spoke to Gino yetserday afternoon and he had been out over Bishops Stortford way and had 25 in 3 hours, but down the road he said there was another bloke out and it sounded like the Somme!! I have this afternoon off to meet up with Gino, so hopefully my luck will change a little?!

Take it easy Terry and we really must meet up for a beer soon!! :good:

Will do the Beer not so sure about the easy

Hi Paul

depending where in Codicote its interesting they were on milky wheat a week or so ago but the rape seems to get hit hard each year but seems to be later in the day. They have mullered it on the way out the back on the road to Knebworth. It always seems to be the same each year round that area big groups aren't around for long and if they are there are a few estates just putting birds down now so they are pretty safe.

depending where in Codicote its interesting they were on milky wheat a week or so ago but the rape seems to get hit hard each year but seems to be later in the day. They have mullered it on the way out the back on the road to Knebworth. It always seems to be the same each year round that area big groups aren't around for long and if they are there are a few estates just putting birds down now so they are pretty safe.

Its the same on our permission as well Al4x! the pheasants went in 2 weeks ago so places to shoot without disturbing them are limited and can't get at them where we would like to!! The partridges will be arriving in a couple of weeks as well, so that reduces the opportunities even further, so as you say the pigeon will be pretty safe to feed enmasse!!

Just out of interest, what is your take on shooting near or in the vicinity of Pheasaent pens? What distance would you keep away from them so they are not disturbed? Obviously I will do as I am told by my father-in-law as we need to keep as many birds as we can this year cos the covers are a disaster, but just interested to see what other folks take is on it?!

Cheers

Its the same on our permission as well Al4x! the pheasants went in 2 weeks ago so places to shoot without disturbing them are limited and can't get at them where we would like to!! The partridges will be arriving in a couple of weeks as well, so that reduces the opportunities even further, so as you say the pigeon will be pretty safe to feed enmasse!!

Just out of interest, what is your take on shooting near or in the vicinity of Pheasaent pens? What distance would you keep away from them so they are not disturbed? Obviously I will do as I am told by my father-in-law as we need to keep as many birds as we can this year cos the covers are a disaster, but just interested to see what other folks take is on it?!

Cheers

I'd keep well away personally especially if they are your birds. Certainly 200-300 yards you don't want to be upsetting them or causing them to move on. Just depends on how much ground you have and of course where pigeons are feeding. If its a commercial shoot you'll find you won't be welcome to shoot unless the pigeons are actually causing a problem and then in strict liason with the keeper.

I'd keep well away personally especially if they are your birds. Certainly 200-300 yards you don't want to be upsetting them or causing them to move on. Just depends on how much ground you have and of course where pigeons are feeding. If its a commercial shoot you'll find you won't be welcome to shoot unless the pigeons are actually causing a problem and then in strict liason with the keeper.

Cheers Al4x, just confirmed my thoughts! I have always given the pens a really wide berth, just gets a little frustrating when you know the pigeons are dropping in close by and there is naff all you can do about it!! Besides, don't want to go upsetting my father-in-law :no: Cheers

Edited by Batch

Well I am sad to report that the harvest shooting has not improved at all for me over the last 5 days or so :no: Managed to secure 3 golden passes from she who must be obeyed, whihc is a rare achievement in itself, and all 3 days ended with very low bags, the best being 12 between 2 of us!! The pigeon tarffic is very low indedd adn we are completely stumped!! How have others been getting on in the Herts area (I know its a big county. Any feedback on times, crop, patterns, rotaries etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

We popped out for a few hours last night and scored about 10 pigeon and 2 crow over cut wheat. No major numbers in the sky but I think our position in the field wasn't the best as the other end near some cut rape seemed to have more action above it. We'll try again over the weekend and maybe get a full day in. This is over St Albans way.

I reckon there were more shooters than Pigeons on a rape stubble I'd been watching over my way, there were different guys there on Saturday, Sunday, even Monday, (whilst the farmer was liming the field). :blink:

It's funny how I didn't see any of those guys up there keeping the birds off during the bitterly cold weather we had back in December, but they descend on the place in their hordes during Summer time. :angry:

Cat.