Bullet Jump (distance from lands_

These rifles are famous for the amount of freebore they have.

Best checked with an OAL gauge of your choice, as like Mark says they are not always the same.

Yeah I read that about the Weatherby, which is basically the same gun.

So in your opinion, what is the most likely to be successful- very little gap, or big gap??

As a rule, new-ish factory rifles in my experience seem to like it as close to the lands as possible..

Owing to the freebore issue You might not even get near the lands with the Howa!

Why not load to SAAMI spec length and go from there?

As a rule, new-ish factory rifles in my experience seem to like it as close to the lands as possible..

Owing to the freebore issue You might not even get near the lands with the Howa!

Why not load to SAAMI spec length and go from there?

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how I get on tonight and hopefully Ollie will test them over the weekend (it's his gun).

Cheers! :good:

I've set it about .25mm off the lands. Do you think I should go more?

Everything I hear says Howas need to be fairly tight...

.25mm (.01") off the lands is absolutely fine to start with, you can always fine tune the length as you get into your load develpoment.

seconded or thirded odds are it will shoot better close to the lands, personally I'd stick to a set charge to start with and load some with differing lengths. so .01 .015 .02 .025 etc and check which groups best. With my rifle once I found what suited it which is minus .015 pretty much everything has been set to that length and everything shoots well.

.25mm (.01") off the lands is absolutely fine to start with, you can always fine tune the length as you get into your load develpoment.

seconded or thirded odds are it will shoot better close to the lands, personally I'd stick to a set charge to start with and load some with differing lengths. so .01 .015 .02 .025 etc and check which groups best. With my rifle once I found what suited it which is minus .015 pretty much everything has been set to that length and everything shoots well.

Sounds good. I'll start off fairly tight!

As Ollie says we found out last night that you can't use a Lyman shell-holder in an RCBS hand primer- we were very disappointed.