Picking up a pup on Sunday........

the_commoner

hi guys,

after a long search and wait i finally found a litter of pups off a member on here (madspringer) which were just what i was looking for.

i met up and picked my pup last week and collect him this sunday, i have gone for a dog, he was a cracker, albeit slightly more laid back than the rest - i reckon that may change !!!

i have a cocker bitch who sleeps in the house 90% of the time, and rarely sleeps in the kennel, but my intention with the pup is for him to sleep out in the kennel and run. i think i am going to bite the bullet so to speak and put him straight in on sunday night. i dont want to have him inside in a crate for a couple of weeks and then put him outside i think that will be more disruptive.

any tips / help / pointers or comments to get me through the first couple of weeks settling the lad in would be helpful :good:

hi guys,

after a long search and wait i finally found a litter of pups off a member on here (madspringer) which were just what i was looking for.

i met up and picked my pup last week and collect him this sunday, i have gone for a dog, he was a cracker, albeit slightly more laid back than the rest - i reckon that may change !!!

i have a cocker bitch who sleeps in the house 90% of the time, and rarely sleeps in the kennel, but my intention with the pup is for him to sleep out in the kennel and run. i think i am going to bite the bullet so to speak and put him straight in on sunday night. i dont want to have him inside in a crate for a couple of weeks and then put him outside i think that will be more disruptive.

any tips / help / pointers or comments to get me through the first couple of weeks settling the lad in would be helpful :good:

We put our 2nd lab straight out at 10 weeks and she was fine - the first one wasnt though. Given it sounds like he'll be on his own he might get seperation anxiety having been with his litter all the time and therefore cry which our neighbours hated. We put a waterproof radio hanging on the bars of the run to distract her. High enough that he cant get it, loud enough that he can hear it but the neighbours cant then phase it out over time once he's settled in. Ours quite liked Radio 2!!

AB

right then, second night and jack has settled (for now!!)

he's had a busy day, jabs this morning, then a couples of hour in the office with me at work, a good few hours this afternoon bonding and some gentle introductions to my cocker (who is a little tempramental !!!)

he whined, howled and barked like hell last night up until 11pm, then again at 2.30am for a hour and again at 5am until i dragged myself out of bed and let him out at about 5.30am, put him back in a 7am to more whines and howls for a hour !!!! been round to all the neighbours this afternoon and given them my nr, and said, call if it becomes intollerable tonight, but for now he's as quiet as a mouse, not a peep tonight, straight to sleep in his kennel.

fingers crossed !!!!

he was still howling darren, all sorted now though, hes in the utility with my cocker, the nieghbours came round complanined as asked me to bring him in !!!! fair enough really never heard such a loud noise from such a samll thing ................ hows his sister settling in ?

He looks like a cracker ill give you that, and yep amazing how a lovely pup can make as much noise as a bigger dog,i had the same problem with my ess in the end put him in with my goldie in the kennel and never heard another peep from him its hard to no whats best and i think it really depends on the individual situation no hard and fast rule, my goldie went straight into his kennel at 12 weeks and was quiet as a mouse.......

A pup on his own I would crate in the house at night until 6 months old and house trained and build up his time in the run on his own through the day during that period.

Cracking looking pup, best of luck with him.

that was kind of the decision i came to in the end, he's happy as larry at the moment, so will wait for a few months and he can go out at night again ............ hes as good as gold during the day with my cocker, so they can both go out together once hes settled in a bit more

Im picking my new pup up in a few weeks, cant wait! I live in an old gamekeepers cottage with purpose built kennels and intending to put him straight in. No neighbours for half a mile so he can make as much noise as he likes. I think once you bring them inside they get used to it and will be harder to make the change later on. Just my opinion i guess, looks like a belter though!! Hope its still going well!