Perseverance pays off! Finally!

henry_o

Hi folks, I haven't had much to say for the past few weeks! I haven't had many opportunities to get out to shoot much recently. When I have made it out the past few weeks, foxes have been avoiding me! I see them whenever I don't have the gun, and when I do they don't give me the chance, but that's how it goes sometimes.

So tonight I went to a spot where I have seen a fox or two in the past month, but I haven't seen them when I've had the gun. I took my .17 hmr cz american out, which i have come to love since I first got my hands on it! When I go to the field I shot a couple of bunnies with some nice quick stalks. I emptied them out into the killing area where I wanted to get the fox, just to act as a bit of an incentive for it. Then I went and laid up in a bit of scrub 60yds up the hill and whilst it was early I took some nice rabbits, ranging from 50-120yds. I wouldn't normally do this when out for a fox but this field has been hit hard and i'm taking every opportunity to nail the bunny population. When it got to 8pm I stopped shooting the rabbits to lay in wait for a fox. I have laid in this area for a total of 13 hours in the past 3 weeks with no luck, but at 8.45 I saw a flash of ginger and white through the nettles 150 yds away under the oak tree in the corner of the field next to the willow woodland. Finally! I raised the gun and followed the young vixen along the edge of the field, it was speeding up as the rabbit smell got stronger. I gave a short squeek to gain her attention and she stopped for a split second sideways on, and thump! first fox in the bag! I was now a happy boy. I had been after this vixen for weeks and it was a nice reward. We have been encouraging and providing for our wild grey partridge population and these kind of results pay big dividends.

After waiting another fifteen minutes nothing showed so I picked everything up and headed back towards the truck. I dropped the bag off halfway and had one last walk around the perimeter of the field. It was nearly too dark to shoot but I heard a blackbird send an alarm call out so I laid down and extended the bipod and looked towards the oak tree. Nothing showed for 2 minutes so I looked over the bank into the next field and picked out a young dog fox over 200 yds away. I crawled through the scrub on the bank to get a clear shot, and it was coming towards the oak tree but was making little progress towards me because I was further up the field. I let out a squeek and it sat down and looked around to see where it was coming from. It only needed to stay still for a second and it was added to the tally. I judged it to be 100 yds which is my limit for foxes with the hmr but when paced out it was 115. I didn't mind too much as it was a clean and well placed shot and the dwindling light had effected my judgement. I was confident taking the shot.

So all in all I had a really good session for 2 1/2 hours. 6 rabbits (lost one that flipped into a hole), 1 dog 1 vixen. The dog had some weight behind him. Sorry about the picture quality, they were take on my phone.

post-26181-0-89690900-1312671899.jpg

post-26181-0-12560100-1312671930.jpg

Thanks folks! I can't fault the HMR. Going to the same spot tonight for a few bunnies. Managed to get out lamping and saw nearly 20 hopping round one corner of the field so wish me luck!

always good to hear of some wild greys being protected
It is a rewarding little job, but when you're sat on the combine and see the young disappear into the crop it can all come undone!

Thanks