Steel shot cartridge

I'll be restocking on non-toxic cartridge this week ready for the 1st Sep :) I'm just wondering what steel loads people are using for duck this season, inland and foreshore?

I found 'Hull Steel Game EXTRA' and 'Laylvale Supreme Steel' 32g no.4s worked a treat last year but wondered if you could recommend any alternatives?

I bought the obligatory Bismuth for the geese last week £31 a box, ouch!!

a couldnt get away w them lyalvale shells :hmm: a used gamebore mammoths 3" number 3s 36gram for the ducks&gamebore mammoths 3 1/2 inch 42gram no.1 or 2s for geese dun job pretty well,..gud luk 4 coming season..dawntredder :good:

Exactly the same as what I use, excellent factory load and drop them no problems.

i find myself in the same position, about to stock up for this season but not sure what to use this year, last year I had I used Gamebore super steel 32g 3s with some success, the one problem I had with them was them was the clean kill ration was not to good, lost to manny duck to diving on a river last year which always annoys me as I dont like leaving hit birds behind for obvious reasons, so I have been looking at Hulls Soloway Steel Magnum in either shot size 3 or 4, has anyone had a good experience with them and if there not good any decent recommendations? I have had a look at the Remingtons mentioned above but havant been able to find a source.

i find myself in the same position, about to stock up for this season but not sure what to use this year, last year I had I used Gamebore super steel 32g 3s with some success, the one problem I had with them was them was the clean kill ration was not to good, lost to manny duck to diving on a river last year which always annoys me as I dont like leaving hit birds behind for obvious reasons, so I have been looking at Hulls Soloway Steel Magnum in either shot size 3 or 4, has anyone had a good experience with them and if there not good any decent recommendations? I have had a look at the Remingtons mentioned above but havant been able to find a source.

I had a similar problem, I moved upto the 36g 3 no problems since.

Guest cookoff013

steel, is some funny stuff. there are many types of steel shot cartridges....

fast, moderate, slow, and lethargic. different brands and all.....

well for ducks, i`d recomend a #2,@1400fps minumum as a good all rounder, each pellet has enough oomph to get to the target and bring it down. it sounds funny, but it works.

for geese, BB minimum, and @ 1400fps minimum again. as most factory loads are slower than advertised, the loads should still do the job.

handloaders can adjust the speed alittle more and shotsize selection. the rule of "going up a coulpe of shotsizes" isnt the greatest criteria for a load, that i would class as the minium requirement.

and who wants minimum performance?

dont be too concerned about the "limited" number of pellets, there is most likely more chance of having a better pattern than lead. with more shot hitting the target area.

I've got some Remington sportsman steel 1 3/8 oz bb im going to be useing through my 10 bore I'm new to wildfowling this year so haven't used them yet are they a good shell? I've also got 2 boxes of the Remington wingmaster hd for the 10 what are they like? Thank you.

Remmington Hi speed steel are the best steel goose loads in the UK presently IMO. Happy enough with Bannaghi 2 3/4" no 4's for duck. Will have to start reloading i feel though you do need all the speed you can get with steel and CIP regs are too low in UK

I've just started reloading and i'll soon have some 1oz 2, 3 and 4 loads knocked up (1800 fps)

. I just need some different wads to arrive and i'll be away.

Edited by motty