decoy patterns

Shnez

I am going to stick my neck waaaaay out there on this even though all I am shooting are what you call ferals. At times over here at least the decoy pattern, and I have tried different ones, matters less than numbers more birds/more drawing power. And further I am convinced that birds become shy of mechanical devices after repeated exposure. If you kill them on their first pass their education is interrupted. I have shot some banded birds that were over 10 yrs. old(BANDING DATE IS ON BAND) and they were really decoy wary.

Thanks guys all iv got at the min is shell decoys not gone for the fancy ones as I'm not suer what I'm doing yet. Mite start with a you shape and see how I get on. Have been told it works well would you put a crow or too in there with them?

Put a crow decoy in if you want to draw crows. If not, don't bother.

It rare to get crows feeding actually in the same group as pigeons but a few crow decoys placed 20-30 yards away will often give the pigeons confidence to come in.

DO NOT put them anywhere near the open end of your pattern as this will work in the opposite way! Anywhere else will do depending on the wind direction etc.

GH

i used just 12 static decoys many times and had great success

but if you can spare the 20 (ish) quid, get urself a glider/bouncer

horseshoe pattern works well sometimes, so does an L or a V...try one pattern, if it doesnt work change it

if you are in the right place at the right time you shouldnt need a p'perfect' pattern!

reconnaissance is the key to a good day NOT the pattern!!

Edited by TJ91

Thanks for all the help guys iv not been out on my own befor my mate has alway just set up and let sit with me so need to learn.there doesn't seem to be obvious flight lines any more tips for that would be appreciated sorry for all the questions lol