AL391 Choke Question

Mungler

Okay, this could be the hattrick of a series of (daft) new gun questions.

The gun came with 5 choke tubes. The choke tube that came in the gun has 3 notches on it and the manual calls it "modified" choke (I think it's "half choke" in laymans). However, this choke tube is longer than the other choke tubes but is a perfect fit in the gun - i.e. you stick it in, do it up and the end of the choke tube sits flush with the end of the barrel.

However, the other 4 chokes are half the size of the "modified" choke tube that came in the gun. The supplied choke tool is not long enough / is not deep enough to not fit into the barrel to tighten the other chokes up. I can just about get my fat fingers in the barrel to finger tighten the other chokes, but the end of the other chokes comes up about 1.5 inches short of the end of the barrel.

Is there a perfectly logical explanation?

Cheers all,

Mung

P.S.

My cup runneth over from the fountain of knowledge that is the PW Forum.

P.P.S

Couldn't hit a *********** brick wall at 10 feet today, and am due to go clay shooting tomorrow. Wanted to stick in the most open choke possible (5 notches I believe). Manual says not to fire gun with no choke tube in or else will corrupt the choke thread on the barrel.

IL thanks very much for that. The plot now thickens....

dscn06688ek.th.jpg dscn06677ru.th.jpg dscn06664zw.th.jpg

I have a similar batch of chokes, however, the choke that came with the gun (and in the gun) is the extra long one. This is the one that when screw in fit snug with the end of the barrel. The others don't and come up about an inch short (the choke insertion tool will not fit deep enough into the barrel to do them up).

You can see that one choke is bigger than the others - so what's that all about then?

Cheers,

Andy