trajectory chart

terrior

Hello

This sounds a bit o.t.t. but this weekend i decided to find out the trajectory of my .177 rifle.

I set up targets from 10mtr to 60mtr every 5mtr spaces.

it was dead zero from 15mtr to 30mtr 1mildot drop at 40mtr 2mildot at 50mtr 3.5midot at 60mtr

the results gave me the confidence to hunt at various ranges accuratly with a laser ranger.

i marked this on the flip up cover for future.

like i say it's a bit o.t.t. but i think it's invaluable for use in the field.......

cheers....................

You need to calculate the PBR (Point Blank Range) of your rifle. For that, you only need a piece of software, punch in all the data and a bit of trial and error.

Once you've got that sorted, you can basically shoot at anything between 5-40 yards and know the bullet will hit

Not to sure about the dead zero 15 to 30 bit :hmm: if its zero at 30 should be high at 15 unless its fac :hmm:

Sounds fine to me depending on scope and mounts.

Normally 15&35 yd zero on .177 ish!

Download chairgun from the Hawke website for a good guide.

Paul

Edited by Gnome of the Woods

Hawke ChairGun Pro is free and does trajectories very well :)

If you have a chrono Chairgun is pretty good, and it will give you a good idea of windage under different conditions and trajectories when shooting up and down inclines. But with most things practice is still best so. :good:

Hi you sure its dead zero 15 yards to 30 yards.Never seen a 177 thats dead zero like that.If zero at 30 must be about at least a quarter inch high at 15.Dead zero means hitting exact spot between 15 and 30 not a mill or two out.Even my HMR is a mill if thats was zeroed at 30.

I'm not trying to be funny all rifles high mid range from zero :good: :good: :good:

Hi you sure its dead zero 15 yards to 30 yards.Never seen a 177 thats dead zero like that.If zero at 30 must be about at least a quarter inch high at 15.Dead zero means hitting exact spot between 15 and 30 not a mill or two out.Even my HMR is a mill if thats was zeroed at 30.

I'm not trying to be funny all rifles high mid range from zero :good: :good: :good:

The pellet will have two zeros, this could be what he means.

I'm not sure of the curvature of the pellet, but 15 and 30 yard zero isn't impossible. The zero in between those two numbers should be different though.

On sub 12ft/lb air rifles. The zenith or top of the pellet flight is normally around 25yds.

I zero at 25yds so only ever use hold over.

If you zero after the top of the flight you will get two distances that will be dead on the cross hairs.

The distances depend on scope height, magnification and power setting.

I will put some examples up when I return from holiday.

Yes your correct on two zeros thats the same whatever airrifle or cf rifle.My point being Newby's comment on being dead zero between 15 and 30 yards is a bit misleading to novice shooter because it cant be dead zero, its got to be a touch high mid way.Not that it matters that much with 177 bacause if zeroed at 35 yards its only half inch high mid range anyway.Reason i'm pointing this out other novice shooter will wonder why their guns shoot high and not zero as newby's.Just trying to be helpful not awkard :good: :good: :good:

Hello

hello to the technomicroscientists you forgot the curvature,spin and x y axis of the earth

oh and what calibration is your thermotechnomicrometer

at the weekend i only work to 15 decimal places just for a rest.

By the way could some technofreak tell me if the pellet warms as it flies through the air due to friction or is it cooled after leaving the barrel by the air.

and how much it expands or contracts.

just so i can input the information in to my obviusely way out results.

this may clear up the discrepancy.

Edited by newby1

hello to the technomicroscientists you forgot the curvature,spin and x y axis of the earth

oh and what calibration is your thermotechnomicrometer

at the weekend i only work to 15 decimal places just for a rest.

Erm, we were just talking about gravity, actually.

You might learn something if you just ask.

I wouldn't both with altitude and gravity. Gravity does decrease with the increase in altitude but it is negligent. If memory serves me correctly the decrease is 0.3% from sea level to summit of Mount Everest. The 0.3% is however the same percentage that the gravity is less at the equator than it is from the poles due to centrifugal force, but I think that this is taking it to extremities :good:

Hi newby1 I'm keeping out of above posts but just to tell you a bout 10mtr shot my mate bagged a rabbit at 35yds through is scope when he went to the rest their was another at about 15yds it was spooked but he got it with is laser which he had zero at 10mtr I wouldn't be able to do it mind you he as 40yrs experience hope this helps with why they shoot at 10meters Frank

Nice one

A real person at last.

that message was a breath of fresh air, i was just trying to point out how you could be more confident and accurate at different ranges, with a bit of homework on your rifle trajectory.

Much appreciated ..........................

some people need to lighten up

cheers.............