.17 Hmr blaistics or hollow point ? help

hello everyone ive had a .17hmr now for some time been using hornady .17gr balistics, just wondering what the 20gr hollow points are like ? in terms of killing distance what they are better for (foxes,rabbits.......) and what they are like compared to the balistics (exploding quarry) :hmm: thanks for any thelp

hello everyone ive had a .17hmr now for some time been using hornady .17gr balistics, just wondering what the 20gr hollow points are like ? in terms of killing distance what they are better for (foxes,rabbits.......) and what they are like compared to the balistics (exploding quarry) :hmm: thanks for any thelp

i have uesed winny,s 20 gr h/points when i got my hmr i think they r the same as b/tipped in stopping power but stayed with b/tipped cos i realy only shoot bunny with my 17 seem to group better than h/points i can head shoot bunny allday at 120 mts with red/blue tips hope this is helpfull to you IAN

hollow points group as well in my hmr as ballistic tips depending on the brand of course. CCI 20grns and 17gr winnie X's, both hollow point,both accurate. Though its a long battle of opinions, personally I don't rate the hmr as a fox round, it will do the job and if you are accurate enough maybe out to 100yds but if your going to shoot alot of fox's get a .22centrefire.

don't use the 20grn on foxes, they zip through and you just get runners they don't expand enough, I had 2 in one evening the only time I tried them both chest shots and both ran about 70 yards. No problem as the dog found them dead but not as good as the vmax that tend to put them down on the spot. Same on rabbits unless you head shoot only they don't transfer energy well.

I have never used 20g hollow points as I have been told (Rightly or wrongly) that they do not expand well and there is a very high chance of "runners"!

If you want to do the job properly I would opt for a CF for foxing, but that is entirely up to you and of course if your certificate "conditions" allow you to shoot foxes with a rimfire!

don't use the 20grn on foxes, they zip through and you just get runners they don't expand enough, I had 2 in one evening the only time I tried them both chest shots and both ran about 70 yards. No problem as the dog found them dead but not as good as the vmax that tend to put them down on the spot. Same on rabbits unless you head shoot only they don't transfer energy well.

Interesting.

I've shot many a fox with a .22rf and never particularly had a problem with runners. In fact years ago I only used solids as to my knowledge hollow points did not exist or perhaps that's all our hardware shop kept.

Do you think it may have something to do with the higher velocity of the hmr ?

Interesting.

I've shot many a fox with a .22rf and never particularly had a problem with runners. In fact years ago I only used solids as to my knowledge hollow points did not exist or perhaps that's all our hardware shop kept.

Do you think it may have something to do with the higher velocity of the hmr ?

higher velocity and the small diameter of the round. They literally had a tiny entrance and tiny exit on chest shot foxes. They were runners in the sense they made it to cover before expiring but weren't ever going to live more than a couple of minutes well expired when the dog was sent in. The ballistic tips have a habit of not exiting on the same shot so tend to just put them straight down