This made me laugh

DSPUK

Some people today have no idea what interest rate is -- I got stung at 15% and vowed I would never get stung again - I sold and put every penny I had into another house - got smallest mortgage I could get and stayed in and cut out holidays to pay it off early- I never upped mortgage to get a new car or washing machine etc- in fact most of our stuff was hand me downs - even had a 12" B/W TV for first 10 yrs of marriage.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Banks-tell-families-cut-back-tele-251796720.html

Dave

ps - I am now being stung again at 0.5% on my savings so people can have cheap money.

Edited by DSPUK

some of it stinks, my other half is a housing officer for our local council and the stories that come back are amazing. People never look at their overheads till after the eviction notice turns up, they all have sky and just think mobiles and the likes are essential more so than the roof over their heads. Then when the house goes just expect the council to house them. Then you have the ones that bought their last council house under right to buy and re mortgaged again and again for cars and holidays till they couldn't afford it. Then expect another house, so to an extent the banks are probably right in looking at the people they can see getting into trouble and trying to advise them. But it will go in one ear and out of the other

I had no idea that this was possible. 2000% or 4000% interest? seriously?

The rates of up to 5000% are not that bad when you consider the time the loans are borrowed for. It's going to be a large number when a 10 day loan is borrowed on a yearly scale (Annual percentage rate after all). It's the only reasonable way to make money on a short term loan.

For instance, borrowing $100 for 35 days at 4200% will work out at about $140 paid. (or if the loan rate was 4.2% it would be 100.42p, you not going to make money on short term loans like that, are you?)

They are very useful tools, and all things consider the rates they offer are expensive, but not extortionate, BUT BUYER BEWARE the real risk is missing a deadline, where that 4000% percentage will soon show up, miss the payment three or four times and you'll soon owe them a lot. The game is to get you to owe around a few thousand pounds, then cancel the account and force you to pay the amount you owed at the time of cancellation (without the amount owned getting silly, giving you the possibility of taking them to court saying it wasn't possible to pay).