Recommend me a good knife please.

scotttomo

I've been thinking about getting a good knife for hunting, mainly for gutting rabbits in the field, but with me still being quite new to hunting and there being so many differnet variations, I don't really know what to go for.

I've seen various types online and think one with a gutting hook would be ideal, thoughts?

I'd also like to use the knife when at home for finishing the rabbit off and also for breasting woodies in the field if the opportunity arises, so would a fixed blade be better for this as I really am a total beginner when it comes to knives :(

I did see this: http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/934/104406/buck-knives-b693bk-alpha-hunter-knife-b693bk/ and thought it might be ideal. I don't mind spending some money on a decent blade as I'm sure it'll last, you buy cheap you buy twice I allways say ;)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies :D

Scott

I use a little Buck folder with a 2.5" drop-point for paunching rabbits and I never use it for anything else as it needs to be shave-your-face sharp at all times to do the job speedily. Gut hooks are a waste of time and a paunching knife should be a true drop-point and hollow ground.

For butchering rabbits at home I use an old fixed blade which has worn out of shape with use. I like to nip through the tail bone and remove it when taking out the scent glands and cut through the pelvic girdle. It looks so much neater and cleaner but it would ruin a keen edge.

I think paunching and gralloching knives should be kept for that job alone and a heavier general purpose knife carried if others tasks are anticipated.

Edit: when I first started shooting rabbits as a youngster I went for a fixed blade because I thought it was a 'proper' knife and easier to clean. In fact the smaller the better. When I paunch a rabbit I'm using less than an inch of the blade and I'm holding the blade itself as much as the handle.

A well paunched (and well shot) rabbit should involve no blood. A bit of milk and fat sometimes which makes hair stick and need wiping but thats all. A rinse under hot water keeps it clean.

Edited by Gimlet

The only knives I use are either Opinel or a Mora Clippers (I have one in Stainles steel and one in Carbon Steel which cost under £25 for the two). They are cheap so no great loss if you loose one in the field and they take and keep a really good edge. Both are really great value for money! :good: