lUNG wORM

reggiegun

Hi,

What are your views on lung worm, I have a cocker puppy who picks up slugs all the time. What are the risks?

Reggiegun

Slugs can also feed on slug pellets/poison etc then your dog could eat the slug im sure i dont need to finish the rest :no::good: and they can carry the parasite i believe in lung worm

Edited by tigger

To a degree we have to live with it and watch for symtoms.

No. Speak to your vet and find out if it's prevalent in your area. If it's not (we don't have it here) then fear not. If it's in your area you MUST initiate a regular control programme. Lungworm can kill your dog before you see many symptoms. If it's there do the responsible thing and treat your dog accordingly.

Hi,

What are your views on lung worm, I have a cocker puppy who picks up slugs all the time. What are the risks?

Reggiegun

I have lost a springer to suspected lung worm first sign was blood from his nose he was in the vets the same day. He had a fit/hemorrhage as he was lifted onto the table advised by the vet to PTS he was 6years old fit as fiddle this was the first sign that he showed this was two years ago never heard of it before then.

No. Speak to your vet and find out if it's prevalent in your area. If it's not (we don't have it here) then fear not. If it's in your area you MUST initiate a regular control programme. Lungworm can kill your dog before you see many symptoms. If it's there do the responsible thing and treat your dog accordingly.

Regular control program? tell us more? Not in the Dales? are you 100% sure- my GWP dog was treated for such and no mention was made of regular control. I am not far from the Dales BTW

Good website on everything you need to know about lungworm

http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pages/en/home.php

In Lungworm areas you need to either:

1. apply Advocate Spot-on Solution every 4 weeks or

2. give a Milbemax tablet every month

You need quite a specific set of circumstances for the lungworm to spread; you need a dog excreting the eggs, to infect a slug to then be eaten by another dog. The biggest risk will be areas with high numbers of dogs such as city parks. If you move out into the rural areas there is a much lower pressure of infection.

We are vigilant for the infection and have tested dogs with suspicious signs but have never diagnosed a case, and we are not (at this time) recommending prophylactic treatment. If we diagnose a case and believe it is circulating on our patch then we will recommend ALL dogs treated with a suitable product monthly.

Saw it very commonly down at college (London) and it's a nasty disease that can easily kill dogs.

Where are you from, Kent? (PM's if you like - was your dog tested by a lab as a positive case or treated speculatively?)

Apache -- 2. give a Milbemax tablet every month

is milbemax any good to give as a precaution , ie for regular worming as well as lung worm

not too many dogs where i excercise but plenty of fox cr*p around paddocks

how big is the risk coming from fox cr*p to dogs and horses too

thanks

is milbemax any good to give as a precaution , ie for regular worming as well as lung worm

Yes - an excellent product for this! Nice broad dose range too (1 tablet per 5-25kg!)

how big is the risk coming from fox cr*p to dogs and horses too

Foxes could carry the parasite as they are in the dog family. Absolutely zero risk of horses catching this particular lungworm, although they do have one they share with donkeys.

I have a Springer Spaniel that occasionally eats grass and I am concerned by the risk of heartworm to the dog. I read up on the drug Milbemax and it appears that there is a risk to certain breeds (Collies and dogs of that type) also that there is a risk if the dog is heavily infected with worm from the proteins released from worms that have been killed.

I have copied the following from www.medicAnimal.com

Treatment of dogs with a high number of circulating microfilariae can sometimes lead to the appearance of hypersensitivity reactions, such as pale mucous membranes, vomiting, trembling, laboured breathing or excessive salivation. These reactions are associated with the release of proteins from dead or dying microfilariae and are not a direct toxic effect of the product. The use in dogs suffering from microfilaremia is thus not recommended.

In heartworm risk-areas, or in the case it is known that a dog has been travelling to and from heartworm risk regions, before using MILBEMAX, a veterinary consultation is advised to exclude the presence of any concurrent infestation of Dirofilaria immitis. In the case of a positive diagnosis, adulticidal therapy is indicated before administering MILBEMAX.

Echinococcosis represents a hazard for humans. In case of Echinococcosis, specific guidelines on the treatment and follow up and on the safeguard of persons have to be followed. Experts or institutes of parasitology should be consulted. No studies have been performed with severely debilitated dogs or individuals with seriously compromised kidney or liver function. The product is not recommended for such animals or only according to a benefit/risk assessment by the responsible veterinarian.

In dogs less than 4 weeks old, tapeworm infection is unusual. Treatment of animals less than 4 weeks old with a combination product may therefore not be necessary.

Parasite resistance to any particular class of anthelmintic may develop following frequent, repeated use of an anthelmintic of that class.

In case of overdosing, hydriasis, depression, drooling, paresis, trembling and/or staggered gait can occur in some dogs. The symptoms will disappear spontaneously within a day. No antidote is known.

The conclusion that I have is if in doubt consult your vet for the best advise and be guided by them.