Winchester SX3

Wildfowler12

I was going to buy one but ended up getting a urika 2 (good deal) but tbh didn't here a bad word said about them whilst I was getting info, I know of someone that had one and he liked it and apparently they are the same as a browning Maxus ( just the Maxus has a few extras) but pretty much the same gun.

If I hadn't have got the deal on the beretta that I did i would have bought one....great fowling gun !! :good: usually pick one up for about £500

Edited by mpk

I bought one the weekend before last. For the prices I've seen most used SX3's going for I'd rather chuck an extra £100 in and get a brand new one! I've only shot 2 rounds of sporting with it so far but I usually average low to mid 20's on a 40 bird layout. Got 33 on my first round and it should have been higher. 10,9,10,4! Pesky rabbit trap lol. It definitely seems to suit me and even cycled a couple of 21g Eleys. I got the 3.5" chambered composite and didn't have a single cycling issue. I generally shoot 28g cartridges and it cycled a mixture of English Sporters and Rio somethings with no issues (although they're both 70mm cartridges I think). Cleaning-wise I didn't find it excessively dirty and there's only 1 barrel to clean which makes life a bit easier. It comes with plenty of adjustment to fit as well as you can change the cast and length using supplied shims and spacers.

i own an sx3 field and it has been back to winchester 3 times. one of the times it was the piston spring had broken and they replaced the piston the other 2 times was the bolt wouldn't pull back after it had been fired, i sent it away and it came back fixed both times but i still dont know what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it :unsure: . having said that i would still have another one. i think they are great guns, very light but low on the recoil. i wildfowl with mine and it gets some pretty rough treatment what with the weather, salt spray and dogs climbing over it etc, but if i keep it clean it always cycles. :good:

Had mine a while now, like it a lot though you do need to spend a bit of time getting it sorted to fit you with the shims etc. I believe the early ones were a bit more load fussy, i very near bought an earlier one second hand but opted instead for new as the gun shop owner said they tended to preffer 32grms plus, he was selling both and most likely had more in the used one so i listened up. The only downside is they chuck the empties out with some gusto- far harder than any Berretta i have used so its a pain searching for them in the dark. mine reliably loads all you give it from light clay loads to heavy lead 3 1/2" shells and it dont kick much either i have shot foxes resting the forend off my forearm holding the lamp with 63 grm loads of BB, sure the muzzles rise a bit but a second try would certainly be still on if i got a wounder :good:

I'm concerned that with no warranty atall, it will be costly to fix. I went to buy an SXP today but found out on arrival that they're NOT fleur de lys proofed, my friend has the 1 and his does have the stamp. They said to cost save they no longer stamp them but they are still the same gun and will tolerate HP steel fine, I'm dubious.

Thanks for your input, my mate said I can have it for £450 which seems like a great price?? It's one of the early 3 1/2' models.

Sounds like a good deal to me!

i own an sx3 field and it has been back to winchester 3 times. one of the times it was the piston spring had broken and they replaced the piston the other 2 times was the bolt wouldn't pull back after it had been fired, i sent it away and it came back fixed both times but i still dont know what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it :unsure: . having said that i would still have another one. i think they are great guns, very light but low on the recoil. i wildfowl with mine and it gets some pretty rough treatment what with the weather, salt spray and dogs climbing over it etc, but if i keep it clean it always cycles. :good:

I suspect that is the arm on the end of the bolt not being located in a little cup that sits inside the butt of the gun. Shine a torch in and you will see it. You just need to guide it back in if it comes out.

Edited by goldeneye243

I'm concerned that with no warranty atall, it will be costly to fix. I went to buy an SXP today but found out on arrival that they're NOT fleur de lys proofed, my friend has the 1 and his does have the stamp. They said to cost save they no longer stamp them but they are still the same gun and will tolerate HP steel fine, I'm dubious.

The pump is a very different gun and only 3" i think, todays coastal wildfowler is way better off with a 3 1/2" IMO. If it were a pump i should look at a Benelli in 3 1/2" - be prepared for a big wallop though :yes:

The pump is a very different gun and only 3" i think, todays coastal wildfowler is way better off with a 3 1/2" IMO. If it were a pump i should look at a Benelli in 3 1/2" - be prepared for a big wallop though :yes:

In all honesty, I think I've wanted a supernova all along. Maybe I'll just spend abit more a go for the benelli. The nova and supernova are both fleur de lys proofed right?

In all honesty, I think I've wanted a supernova all along. Maybe I'll just spend abit more a go for the benelli. The nova and supernova are both fleur de lys proofed right?

Just make sure your sat down when you shoot the big 3 1/2" shells or it might pile drive you knee deep into the marsh :lol: They don't do those mercury filled extras for nowt you know ;) I think they are but not sure if there are older ones about. Remember proof is different in the states but they have been on steel a lot longer than us guys

Sounds like a good deal to me!

I suspect that is the arm on the end of the bolt not being located in a little cup that sits inside the butt of the gun. Shine a torch in and you will see it. You just need to guide it back in if it comes out.

i checked and it wasnt that, i have a feeling it was sand/grit in the pipe where the cup goes down on a spring (if that makes sense).

Bought a supernova instead, now I'm not sure I did the right thing!

I was useless with mine as I got into a terrible habit of stopping the gun to load the next round, but they are a great fowling gun. No jams, will fire anything ,steel proofed and built like brick **** houses. A few hours on the clays getting used to pumping (keeping the gun in your shoulder at all times) will see you right......I have known of many people using them across the board for pigeon shooting too :good: hold there money quite well also .