new or s/h 17hmr

ljaddy12

just got open certificate back and added variation for 17hmr at same stunned took a total of 2.5 weeks there and back not bad at all so got an open slot for hmr just cant make my mind up to go for a new cz 452 or buy a used one and spend more money on a better scope prob gonna open a can of worms but any one any thoughts?

Get what you want/can afford. :good::yes::yes:

Yes, a good scope is great but people get far too much up their own **** about scopes!

I have several JSR scopes, and the 4-16 Target Pro (£45) on my T3 Lite .223 has delivered 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls at 600 yards at Bisley! :yes::yes::yes:

HMR distance is easy, don't let anyone convince you that in this age you need to spend a fortune on glass to get results, you don't, but there are advantages such as dialling in, etc.

If you can afford it then go for it, but I would NEVER buy a used rifle over a new one just to get a slightly more expensive scope!

I would buy a new gun and add a scope I could afford, if you are not happy then you will have some time to save up for a better scope: you won't need it on a HMR though!

ATB!

I used to shoot with a fella who bought an old Bruno for under £100, and it still easily grouped to an inch at 100yds.

I bought a second hand CZ452 and it's still going strong many thousands of rounds later.

The scope has changed many times, only because I acquired a few CF's which need a good scope, so I nicked the one of my CZ until I could bring myself to spend spend more on a good scope (this shooting game is the quickest route to finiancial ruin I have ever found :blush: ).

The 452 is agricultural and a real work horse, and as all my guns are working tools they get abused (kind of :o ), but with all this taken into account, it still picks off bunnies at decent ranges, and groups on targets a heck of a lot further, so save your self some money, and buy second hand.

Cooter :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with getting a second hand HMR? I don't think that they burn barrels and a second hand good scope something you could dial in if you want to can be bought for round the £140 mark.

Ha Ha, not many HMR will burn out a barrel, but it is a tiny bore, subject to copper fouling and pathetic cleaning by many.......

...Whats wrong with getting a used rifle or scope.................. if they are ok!

It's only when something ISN'T ok that second hand is a problem!

aye just what i was thinking think i needed to here other people say it i bought a cz style 22 new n figured itl shoot no differnt to a s/h one. looking at scopes saw some nikko sterling gamekings and bushnell banner scopes at cheap prices but heard mixed reviews trying to avoid spending a fortune promised the mrs a ring 8 month ago and now rolling up with a new setup wont go down to well but it has to be done lol however finding a s/h one seems to be easier said than done all the local rfd seem to have new stock atm.