Eley .22LR Ammo change

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still having problems ejecting live rounds and today I had a fired case I could not eject, it came about 3mm out the chamber then I had to use my knife to prize it out. here's the box no- 3511-30056

Gun is a Cz 452 varmint .22lr no- a307996 it's 2007 model, I've always preferred eleys and this is the first time I've had problems like this.

I'll happily moan if it helps :good:

OK, in view of the last post, a sit.rep.

As said I did reply to Eley and whatever I said must have struck home. I have since had 3 replies in quick succession. I have been asked to get samples of the rounds in question up to my local RFD and as they're hollow points, they will be collected by Eley. With the holiday and the fact that the RFD is shut on Wednesdays, it'll be Thursday before thet're available to Eley.

bicy, do you have the facility to accurately measure the diameter of the bullet close to the case - we're talking 0.001s"?

For those affected, there is a choice. I can make Eley aware of this site/thread or I can ask permission to release the guy's e-mail address (by PM) to those it concerns. Any preferences, anyone? What is not looking good is the fact that we now have three different Lot No's affected.

Hi Wymberley,

Unfortunateley not, I'll pm you my email address though and if they want to arrange something it's there call. I'm on my last box out of this batch but have got a fresh slab, next Saturday I'll take a couple of boxes out target shooting and see if these are the same. It's a real shame as I've always rated eley highly I guess standards are slipping.

Gary

ok im sitting down...........

Still trying to work out how to tell the wife; so would welcome your opinion as to which sounds cheaper:

Fifty nine pounds and ninety pence or ten pence under sixty pounds.

They are no match for Eley in my rifle. They also have a coating - more oily than greasy. This wipes off easily which is fortunate as otherwise I find they tend to slip from these old fingers before I've loaded a 5 shot mag.

I tried the current Eleys with Lapua/SKs and Winchesters, all hollow points, on my last two range nights. In my BSA 22 rimmie.

The Winchesters grouped badly at 60yds - 1.5 inches would be an average group size, the SKs were less than an inch and the Eleys gave bullet holes that were touching prob < half an inch.

Sticking with Eleys.

Still trying to work out how to tell the wife; so would welcome your opinion as to which sounds cheaper:

Fifty nine pounds and ninety pence or ten pence under sixty pounds.

They are no match for Eley in my rifle. They also have a coating - more oily than greasy. This wipes off easily which is fortunate as otherwise I find they tend to slip from these old fingers before I've loaded a 5 shot mag.

That's not too bad it's £8 less than I pay for eleys, I think I'll give them a bash next time, do they just come in them big tubs or do they do them in boxes of 50?

Would be interested to try some if anyone local fancies swapping 50 sk's for 50 of my eley?

That's not too bad it's £8 less than I pay for eleys, I think I'll give them a bash next time, do they just come in them big tubs or do they do them in boxes of 50?

Would be interested to try some if anyone local fancies swapping 50 sk's for 50 of my eley?

TBH, they look to be a very well engineered product. If the treatment is for self loaders then so-be-it but as said it wipes off easily. They're well packaged in 50s/500s with a proper tray and not that damned Eley abortion.

TBH, they look to be a very well engineered product. If the treatment is for self loaders then so-be-it but as said it wipes off easily. They're well packaged in 50s/500s with a proper tray and not that damned Eley abortion.

I don't mind they eley box at least they don't drop to bits like the winchesters, I've only seen the sk's in a cylindrical tub of 500. Not too fussed if they are oily beats rubbing wax off.

Guys,

A couple of boxes of the rounds causing the problem are now with my local RFD pending collection by Eley. The chap running the investigation has expressed his interest in understanding how the products perform in the field. Consequently, I have passed him the Site details and pointed him in the direction of this specific thread. Therefore, I would hope that the problems detailed will be will be aired at Eley.

I would imagine that there will be a delay before I get any response but will post immediately when I do.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a box of old and new style to try next to each other to compare performance and point of impacts at set ranges? It might just be me but I'm sure the ones in new packaging are dropping off quicker ive missed some right sitters at range by them falling short also shot over on some closer ones. Just about to start a new brick so hopefully will be ok.

Has anyone got a box of old and new style to try next to each other to compare performance and point of impacts at set ranges? It might just be me but I'm sure the ones in new packaging are dropping off quicker ive missed some right sitters at range by them falling short also shot over on some closer ones. Just about to start a new brick so hopefully will be ok.

The last lot of eley subs that I bought were a bit down on velocity. Consistency over five shots though, was impressive @ 986 fps, 986 fps, 982 fps, 985 fps, 986 fps. That's consistant ! Energy though, was only around the 86 ft lb mark, so you're probably right if you think they're dropping short. Very accurate in my carbine though, once set up. And quieter than Winchester and CCI subs.

Phew, cracked it!

Tried the SK and they were a somewhat inferior to Eley but not criminally so. Had a whack at a few bunnies a couple of nights back and TBH couldn't tell the difference. Went out this afternoon with a, now, nicely shot in barrel (I'd cleaned it while trying to find the problem) and the SK have run rings around Eley. My oppo has tried them in his old Bruno canon and they're equally as good. In view of earlier posts, I also chrono'd them and the result was as it says on the tin. So I'm afraid it's goodbye Eley, hello SK.

I'll keep the pressure on to get an opinion from Eley as to what the problem is.

Does anyone bother to rub off the wax from the eley sub sonic HP?. I have shot 200 rounds through and they are by far the most accurate at 10p size groups @ 70yards. no problems with extraction (live or spent). I cleaned the rifle after the 200 rounds and the barrel was filthy. Not sure if this would have a long term effect but it looks like it might.

The last lot of eley subs that I bought were a bit down on velocity. Consistency over five shots though, was impressive @ 986 fps, 986 fps, 982 fps, 985 fps, 986 fps. That's consistant ! Energy though, was only around the 86 ft lb mark, so you're probably right if you think they're dropping short. Very accurate in my carbine though, once set up. And quieter than Winchester and CCI subs.

I've no issues with accuracy when on the targets but just seem to be dropping off short and more loopy than usual, I might see if I can swap them for sk's as I've not opened my new slab yet.

Are the sk's the ones that come in a red cylinder and do they come loose in the tub?

Does anyone bother to rub off the wax from the eley sub sonic HP?. I have shot 200 rounds through and they are by far the most accurate at 10p size groups @ 70yards. no problems with extraction (live or spent). I cleaned the rifle after the 200 rounds and the barrel was filthy. Not sure if this would have a long term effect but it looks like it might.

I always rub the wax off as it only takes a second so may as well :good: