Eley .22LR Ammo change

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used them when I first got my fac, accuracy wise they eley just edged them and I kept getting the odd one go with a crack other than that there ok through mine.

I found them the same. Barely subsonic and not quite as accurate as the eleys. Ok though in my anshutz barrel. :yes:

How does every one fine the eley sub sonic past 80 yards?

Never measured at that, but a 5 shot group while zeroing at 70 yds usually fitted under a 5p piece which is why this problem a good few seem to be having is a tad annoying. Couldn't do a comparison check at that distance yesterday because of the wind, but at 40 yds the SK was appreciably better.

Are these SK's in a gold box " .22 lr sub sonic hollow points " for hunting or are they target loads ?

The only gold box i can find are target loads. Any pics of the gold boxes ? What is the logo on the front of the gold box ?

Cleaner4hire PM sent

Edited by 30-6

Are these SK's in a gold box " .22 lr sub sonic hollow points " for hunting or are they target loads ?

The only gold box i can find are target loads. Any pics of the gold boxes ? What is the logo on the front of the gold box ?

Cleaner4hire PM sent

I think the box is standard. It's gold with black lettering and has a black/white ringed target with a green bull. On one side below some pictures of the rounds (only on the 500 carton) and in a green lined rectangle is a list of all the rimfire rounds in black EXCEPT for the type in the box which is in green.

I went to pick up some Sk ammo today (the RFD stocked both the 500 tube and 50 round boxes), after chatting with the chap he advised they were really target rounds not for hunting (I thought so as not being HP or squashing on impact). The 50 round box was also labelled as "Match" not subsonic.

So I guess there are two outcomes

1. They just had different SK stuff in stock and didn't know much about the others

2. I didn't actually ask anyone on here if they used them on bunnies and they are possibly not suitable

I didn't buy them as not willing to "try out" on quarry. A

Anyone able to let me know?

Not easy to find, but www.lapua-gmbh.de and then - English- products gives the full range to include the 500 tub which has been mentioned.

The ones in the tub of 500 are only grade 1 which is more for plinking they're graded 1-5 apparently, 5 being the best quality which I'm guessing the 'match' stuff is and 1 been the sort of stuff you'd probably run in a new gun with and save your match stuff for best.

I was tempted to get a tub but dont think I'll bother, I've just been on to another shop localish to me and they do lapua hollow subs for £11.69 per 100 so £58.45 per 500 which is cheaper than eleys from my local.

not a bad price,

are you using for target only, the match stuff is apparently not subsonic either!?

I would be quite surprised if the "match" rounds weren't sub-sonic. Almost all target type rounds came in at around the 1050 fps mark especially to keep them sub-sonic and enhance accuracy. A good head shot with a 40gn bullet will do the job whether it's HP or solid and if the groups are significantly tighter with solids at longer ranges I'm happy to use them.

I went to pick up some Sk ammo today (the RFD stocked both the 500 tube and 50 round boxes), after chatting with the chap he advised they were really target rounds not for hunting (I thought so as not being HP or squashing on impact). The 50 round box was also labelled as "Match" not subsonic.

So I guess there are two outcomes

1. They just had different SK stuff in stock and didn't know much about the others

2. I didn't actually ask anyone on here if they used them on bunnies and they are possibly not suitable

I didn't buy them as not willing to "try out" on quarry. A

Anyone able to let me know?

I would suggest that any .22 rimfire ammunition is quite capable of easily killing rabbits so long as you can assure good accuracy. :yes:

not a bad price,

are you using for target only, the match stuff is apparently not subsonic either!?

I'm paying 1p under £6 a box. The rounds entitled 'subsonic' are hunting hollow points and work a treat. their velocity, 1033, is the same as the 'rifle match'. All is detailed on their website given in an earlier post, except, for some reason, the hollow point bit is not mentioned but is shown on the 500 carton.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I would agree that an accurate no hp is better than point and hope hp. I've never used target ammo before so wanted to check. I'll let you know how I get on.

hello mate how you getting on with these and where did you get them from, i getting my 22 soon and am also in canterbury so interested in your findings!