Rizzini chokes stuck ??!!

mad1

hi all I am prepping my o/u for blueing but I have got the chokes stuck in I know they were not cross threaded when I put them in .. How can I get them out without damaging them :hmm: They are the extended ones with small flat areas around the ends . Can I buy a key to do it or is there something I soak them in to loosen them ..any one got a key I can lend :blush:

couple of sugestions for you.

dont think youll find a choke key for them, prety rare now i would have thought.

firstly i would try wrapping a piece of rag round the choke and trying a pair of pipe

wrenches or mole grips, making sure they dont slip, held very tight to the choke.

if that doesnt work i'd try some releasing spray, let it soak then try the molegrips.

if that still doesnt work i'd try some local heat, paintstripper gun or butane torch

BEARING IN MIND you are going to re blue anyway. I WOULDNT EVEN THINK OF HEATING IT IF YOUR NOT GOING TO RE BLUE.

before i get shot down for sugesting it :lol:

i'd be surprised if the molegrips didnt shift it though.

did you have the key to put them in ? i had one of these (assuming its the budget rizzini and not the expensive ones) and the chokes had a rubber o ring round the bottom of them

which would have stopped you putting them in too tight, i'm assuming yours doesnt have the o rings still.

Edited by mickmep

Thanks for the ideas :good: Yes it has the rubber o rings still in place but they are not tight squashed I think that may have caused them sticking when I have been rubbing the barrels down there must have been some water in there and possibly rusted stuck :oops: I will try some release spray first with a rag and grips then try the heat method many thanks m1 :good:

Thanks for the ideas :good: Yes it has the rubber o rings still in place but they are not tight squashed I think that may have caused them sticking when I have been rubbing the barrels down there must have been some water in there and possibly rusted stuck :oops: I will try some release spray first with a rag and grips then try the heat method many thanks m1 :good:

If rusted, maybe try vinegar? I've used it with great success on ceased (rusted) padlocks and other implements. Maybe stand the barrels in a glass of it (so the threads are immersed) overnight and then try the rag and wrench again?

I'd use heat as an absolute last resort.

Just to update I managed to get them out after soaking them in vinegar and then putting the pipe wrench on :good: Thanks to all who suggested different methods ( I have cleaned and coated the threads in coppa slip now ) ps they are marked as full and improved which one should be on the bottom first barrel reg m1 :good: