afternoon out

mereside

went out today with the shells to have a crack ,got set up quickly very windy but just needed to get out for a couple of hours

,well had quite a few come in just not shooting straigt but had fun anyway and tommy liked it atb,wayne.forgot to mention these where my homeloads i managed two high pheasents on the way to setting up just didnt get pic

F10V0825.jpg

F10V0828.jpg

Edited by mereside

cheers guys first real attempt at decoying had quite a few coming in and all the birds shot where crossers and quite difficult the easy birds dropping in i missed every one not really sure what was going on there really but enjoyed it all the same want to get out tommorrow but working,might sneak out in the afternoon,wayne

cheer mate hes coming on a treat he loves to please he can be stubborn but i love him i got him from a rescue place he was very neglected and skinny we have managed to bulk him up and has got good muscle tone now ,thanks wayne

well done mate that answers the thread of rescue dogs...he's a beaut :good::good:

went out today with the shells to have a crack ,got set up quickly very windy but just needed to get out for a couple of hours

,well had quite a few come in just not shooting straigt but had fun anyway and tommy liked it atb,wayne.forgot to mention these where my homeloads i managed two high pheasents on the way to setting up just didnt get pic

F10V0825.jpg

F10V0828.jpg

Lovely GSP you have got .Well done you taking a rescue dog.

One thing only if I may. GSP,s are not supposed to be used in a hide or anywhere else, that they would rely on visual contact with birds etc. They should be used in cover so they can

point and flush. That,s where they excel. That,s only my thoughts though.

who cares, if he does the job thats what matters ,and i bet he enjoys sitting in a hide with his master whatever happens

good on yer :good:

I my not have made myself quite clear.

Of course the dog can be quite happy siting in a hide with his master . But he could be equally happy sitting in front of the fire with his master.

What I was pointing out in my first post was that a GSP is better put to use in pointing and flushing , maybe happier as well , since he would be doing what his breading tell,s him to do .

Again only my thoughts.

thanks guys for all your comments i was contacted by a lady from the gsp rescue as i was looking to home a gsp now i wanted one to hopefully be good enough for tracking deer as this is mainly what i do i go up to scotland with a couple of friends for red and roe the ground is hard going so i knew i needed a dog and wanted to rehome rather than buy a pup now i knew it might be hard going as they tend to be older dogs. well when i got the phonecall to travel to see tommy it was explained that tommy came from forein family and dindnt understand commands and pulled like a freight train but the upshot was he had a natural ability to track but needed to be trained so travel 4 hours to meet him and fell in love,after a while he started to get the hang of the training and obedience so kept at it until i thaught he was ready to venture out and start to do some blood trails. well from the off he aced all the tracks and it seemed all to easy for him so arranged a weekend in scotland on arriving on the ground tommy had deer overload scent and tracks everywhere big intakes of breaths and shaking with exitement we stalked into the forest it wasnt long and we had two does in our sights i chose the follower and it dropped on the spot. i visually marked the spot before moving off to find the strike and released tommy to find the doe now he ran off scenting and i first thaught he had picked up the track of the older doe and started to call him back after a while i was sure the doe had dropped at a place i had found the strike and also the impact of my bullet but no doe i was sure of a good shot. tommy on the other hand had gone straight to it but was unshure of what to do next as i got near i could see he found it so started praising him and shook the doe to exite him and give him encouragement well he was well chuffed and from that point he knew exactly what to do. i put him onto three more that weekend and he found them with ease i have him with me all the time stalking and decided he was steady enough to go onto the birds as i do abit of pigeon shooting at the roosts and i started wilfowling so wanted him to retrieve for me hence the picture of the pigeons with tommy .heres tommys first roe .atb wayne

iphone024.jpg

Lovely GSP you have got .Well done you taking a rescue dog.

One thing only if I may. GSP,s are not supposed to be used in a hide or anywhere else, that they would rely on visual contact with birds etc. They should be used in cover so they can

point and flush. That,s where they excel. That,s only my thoughts though.

My old GSP bitch was in her element whether she was sitting in a pigeon hide ,working under goshawks or just having a potter round with the gun ,a tuly versatile all rounder in my opinion :good:

Jase.