Gun dog pup and pet dog

stuart21

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a pup in the new year, either a Lab, ESS or Golden Retriever. I've always had dogs and I currently have a chocolate lab as a pet.

I have never trained a gun dog before and I would like to start with this new pup, however my question is, how much more difficult will it be bearing in mind I have a pet dog?

Do any of you have any similar experiences and also any tips?

Thanks

I would say you need to decide which breed you want first, and for what discipline (hunting, retrieving, bit of both etc.) as labs, springers and goldies are all programmed completely differently!

I will be getting a cocker pup in a few months time, but he wont live indoors with our pet dogs :good:

Unfortunatlty they do pick up bad habits. I train and exercise my dogs seperately to help prevent this and I have the option to kennel seperately too, however I've got them together at the minute with the weather about too turn it will hlp with warmth.

If its going to be living in the house you will have to make sure it doesn't get any bad habits from the family and make sure you all sing from the same sheet!!!

Good luck with the pup, let us know how you go on :good:

hi if you can take the working gundog out for 121 time and train it separatly you shouldn't have any problems,

so long as you are consistant with your commands and when you do give a command you ensure it is obeyed, i.e. SIT means sit until told otherwise each and everytime the first time.

start with the foundations and get them 100%

when released for a go play with the other dog it can have fun and a pal to play with.

you may find the older dog regresses for a time when a new pup is introduced.

jan

It will be for retrieving and rough shooting. Do dogs pick up bad habits from other dogs and also, do they pick up good habits as well?

To be fair I dont think the pup could expect to learn anything much from a choclit lab apart from laying about or eating :lol:

You have to start as you mean to go on. Dont train the new dog in the company of your pet. Personally, for six months, I would not walk them together, by all means let them mix in a confined space like a garden or similar but you want to be keeping the pup as near to you as possible and actively encourage it to be at your feet and near, with no distractions.

You should also consider the gender of the pup more, given the fact there is another dog that will be coming into contact with it on a fairly regular basis in the future. The main use is another consideration, how often and for what purpose will it be used. Your own experience and enthusiasm for training the dog is also something worth considering. How commited you are, or will be, is something that should be well thought through as well.

Good luck.

Edited by straightbarrel

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a pup in the new year, either a Lab, ESS or Golden Retriever. I've always had dogs and I currently have a chocolate lab as a pet.

I have never trained a gun dog before and I would like to start with this new pup, however my question is, how much more difficult will it be bearing in mind I have a pet dog?

Do any of you have any similar experiences and also any tips?

Thanks

If you want the dog for rough shooting and a bit of picking up then i would recommend a springer i have one but i also have working goldies aswell dont think you can beat a goldie out of the retrievers my opinion of course cracking wildfowling and picking up dogs but also take mine rough shooting aswell very versatile dogs.

As for picking up bad habits you bet from other dogs and sometimes more so other family members,a couple of problems they can get off other dogs is tugging/wrestling etc with toys which in turn they may take to the field and we dont want that with birds etc do we also stealing off other dogs to,barking whining etc can all be learnt and some maybe irriversable thats why imo working dogs if practiable should be put in a kennel or atleast kept seperate unless supervised you could craete a minefield of problems for yourself if your not carefull :good:

Edited by tigger

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I do plan to train the new dog separately and have plenty of 121 time, but I would like it to play with my current dog.

It will live indoors, however it will be caged and in a separate room. As for committment, I am based at home and only need to be away 1 day per week (my parents will look after my dog when I am away). I shoot about a dozen times in the game season and then the odd pigeon day the rest of the year.

I did think about training my current dog, and whilst he is a great pet, he is extremly excitable and quite boisterous. He is 4 years old and has many Show champions in his pedigree. He also has allergic reactions to things, we are not sure what it is, put he seems to pick them up from walks in new places and my vet says that she is seeing more and more choc labs comin in with allergies.

As for gender, I would prefer a dog, but this is only based on past dogs I have had and also where I shoot, there tends to be more dogs. I know people seem to prefer bitches for working though.

So my questions are: -

Am I setting myself a harder task by getting a dog over a bitch?

The new dog will live inside, but will be separated from my current dog and my current dog does whine sometimes. Will this be okay?

I have read that goldies mature later than labs, is this true and are they harder to train?

Thanks all!

I do plan to train the new dog separately and have plenty of 121 time, but I would like it to play with my current dog.

It will live indoors, however it will be caged and in a separate room. As for committment, I am based at home and only need to be away 1 day per week (my parents will look after my dog when I am away). I shoot about a dozen times in the game season and then the odd pigeon day the rest of the year.

I did think about training my current dog, and whilst he is a great pet, he is extremly excitable and quite boisterous. He is 4 years old and has many Show champions in his pedigree. He also has allergic reactions to things, we are not sure what it is, put he seems to pick them up from walks in new places and my vet says that she is seeing more and more choc labs comin in with allergies.

As for gender, I would prefer a dog, but this is only based on past dogs I have had and also where I shoot, there tends to be more dogs. I know people seem to prefer bitches for working though.

The new dog will live inside, but will be separated from my current dog and my current dog does whine sometimes. Will this be okay?

I have read that goldies mature later than labs, is this true and are they harder to train?

Thanks all!

Mmm i have only ever had dogs and the only reason i have not had bitches is i dont want to leave them at home because they come into season and i do a hell of alot of beating,shooting and picking up all year round,my parents had both sexes and they said that males can be a little more headstrong than dogs but thats as far as i can comment tbh but all but two at the shoots i go on are bitches so that may say something aswell.

As for Goldies maturing later maybe a little but they will keep learning until they die where as a lab can peak a little to early so they say at the gundog club i go to and my parents would go along with that as well again owners of Labs may have there own opinion on this so you can expect one to tell me im wrong soon im sure :lol: here are a couple of pics of my pup :lol:

Dog2.jpg

dog6.jpg

dog3.jpg

Thanks all!

Hi Stuart

Contact Mark "ukfirefighter" he trains dogs and lives close by to you.

Marks dog is exceptional.

he may be able to give you some pointers (not the dog variety)

terry

Edited by bakerboy