Phantom bunnies

coneyhunter

hello all,

the land i do rabbit control on has in recent weeks been very quiet, i can hear the replies of " you've shot them all" but let me explain

its approximatley 120 acres with adjoining farmland, on my walk about today i have seen many, many bolt holes and several large warrens with signs of fresh activity on the majority of them, including scrapes and fresh droppings.

The rabbits seem to have spread out all over the permission and reports from the land owner is that she sees quite a lot in the day, i must be honest the majority of the rabbits i have shot there have been in the day. Up until recently i controlled them with a shotgun but have in the past few months brough the .22 LR into play s the bunnies got very wise.

But know i cant find them! i know this sounds ludicrous but despite all of the evidence and reports of large numbers of rabbits on all of my recent expeditions with the 22 ive shot 3, thats in two months!

ive been in the day, evening and on the lamp, strangley the lamp has been woefully poor, not seeing any at all in recent outings.

i know of no mixi and im the only person who has permission on the land, the farmers on both sides dont shoot and theres not a huge amount of predatation so how come i cant find the bunnies?

if it was anywhre else i would right it off and conclude that perhaps i had been a bit too succesfull with the control but the amount of fresh warrens and grass damage plus the land owner stating contiually that they are hammering the vegetabe patch really leaves me scratching my head.

Any body have any insight into this?? or have similar experiences? im at a loss to explain whats going on :sly:

had exac same problem couple of farmers pointed out busy spots seen 20 or so through day gone to look signs are there fresh **** scrats in field deep holes we know there there went back 3 nights with 22 to lamp em nothing got one no one ferreted or ne thing not too happy seems very strange however seen few foxes in that area recently got 3 so far thinking he may have made his rounds before we got there one place hed definatly been left a fresh present but seen it before go back in a month itl be like watership down lol so for min im just putting it down to bad timing.

On one of my permissions (gained early this year) my friend and I shot nearly 100 rabbits in 3 months,then it 'dried'up,but,going back over the last 3 weeks,there are many new burrows,runs,and droppings everywhere,BUT no bl**dy rabbits to be seen.Whilst we were there last week,one of the local residents said that the rabbits are out in the mornings up to around lunchtime.So, it seems that they may have changed their feeding times. :hmm: :hmm:

Alan :)