Woodcock in N Ireland

Ballymac

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the woods fromThe LFWA any good for woodcock ? :hmm:

redditich if you do the mossy bits on the outside of the woods you will get woodcock , plus there is a big moss in there sumwhere that has woodcock/snipe and a odd phseasnt about it, ive never been at the big moss but remember a member tell me about it give terry a ring he should point you in the direction it is and what gate/entrance to park at to get to it,

flushed 6 woodcock today got a shot at 2 but missed saw 2 more flight by whilst roost shooting this evening deff not about in the same numbers as last year yet :no:

funny been out the last 3 days in various place's for couple hrs each afternoon, got to say there def aint as many as last 2 years, dont get me wrong were still putting a few up just the places where we always get a few there arnt any there to put up, very scattered numbers few here few there but no big amount as far as i acn see,,,,,,,

Have to agree with the above. Spent 7 hours over Friday evening and Saturday on 3 different permissions. I only flushed a total of 9 birds for 5 shot. They're proving to be really hard work but no less enjoyable. We'll know in another weeks time if this moon has helped. Whatever is going to come will surely come now with the harder weather?

Saw two on a small shoot I have yesterday, missed both !!!, heh heh, out next weekend 9th 10th on a permission I have with a few friends will report the week after.

As promised a report on the weekend. Some friends and I had a couple of days walked up on some very very wet ground and jungle like cover in North Wales, Friday and Saturday. Three of us did some small beats on Friday, flushed 20, missed them all except for 2 and a Grey Squirel Jackdaw and a Pigeon made up the bag for the day. It was an early shower followed by copious amounts of 'Monkey Juices' of various kinds, as we were joined by another two eager enthusiasts ready for the next day. Saturday saw a full breakfast and away, we walked all day and covered some ground seeing 30+ the chance of a left and right came to three of us during the day and I have to admit that each of us failed to get a single feather from those chances. We saw plenty of snipe too and much bartering was experienced as we constantly missed, time and again. We ended up the day with 11 Woodcock and another Pigeon. Tired and aching bodies arrived back at base, well I speak for myself, a great birthday for a young 63 year old!, and i pray for some frost, heavy frost, for the next escapade with the next full moon in January 2012, it will be easier walking !! More Sloe Vodka please !

A moment in the sun whilst stood on a Bracken Bank yesterday:

BB1.jpg

Have to agree with the above. Spent 7 hours over Friday evening and Saturday on 3 different permissions. I only flushed a total of 9 birds for 5 shot. They're proving to be really hard work but no less enjoyable. We'll know in another weeks time if this moon has helped. Whatever is going to come will surely come now with the harder weather?

There is a lot more birds in now mate. I was out for a couple of hours at the weekend and I must have flushed at least 12 birds, but only got shooting at 4 because I was by myself. The ground I was on is not even prime woodcock territory.

Flushed 8 today and saw one flighting out of the forestry at dusk. Managed 4 altogether including the flighting one. Pics in photo section. I have included a couple of photos here of the type of ground I was on today. I was flushing birds from the sparse bushes as well as under the coniferous tree. It would be interesting to see the type of terrain others are flushing birds from. Ill add more pics as I visit other permissions. Apologies for the quality of 1st pic not sure what happened there?

post-24214-0-96639700-1324579946.jpg

post-24214-0-86949600-1324579953.jpg

Edited by woodcock1

Had a good day boxing day flushing 13 and managed 8 the first pair being a L+R. Cot a couple of hours today flushing 8 and shooting 5. Lost 1 of them in a large area of whins/briars. The gale force winds made for very challenging sport. I shot one stone dead in the air at about 40yards that was really motoring down wind and paced it out to where it fell at 70 yards.